News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Best Epoxy/glue for reattaching details

Started by NWsteam, January 15, 2015, 02:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWsteam

Hi all,

What is your recommended epoxy/glue for reattaching broken off detail parts? This will be a plastic to plastic job. Thanks!

-Brad

electrical whiz kid

There are a lot of epoxies to use for this purpose.  There also a lot of plastic cements that just may do a better job; because-depending upon the compound of plastic-some plastic cements will "fuse" the two pieces together by dissolving the areas to be joined and then quickly dries. 
A lot of compounds used in manufacturing product are polystyrene types; such as would be found on a Tichy product.  There other plastic compounds employed here, such as Delrin, ABS, PVC, etc.; and a glue for all types.  The very best advice I can give you is to contact the manufacturer and ask what type of compound is used. 
Epoxy is OK for bonding two "un-fusible" pieces, or dissimilar compounds or types of materials; such as wood to metal, etc..  An epoxy that is used by a lot of modellers is ":Weld-bond" five-minute epoxy.  Another-by and large one I have had a good success with-is "Loc-Tite".    There are many others.  I use a product I just discovered made in Rockland, Mass.  This stuff is really good, but very pricey-you probably don't want to know-but I'll tell you anyway-it is $32.00 a tube!  The gun is $175.00!
SGT C.

Bucksco

I have always used Devcon 5 minute epoxy when I need to use epoxy glue.

Doneldon

Pretty much ay plastic-safe adhesive will work. I 've found that most caulks or materials like Plastic Nails for
Projects are excellent. The issue isn't so much getting things to stick/ it's being able to removed without damaging them.
So ... focus on light adhesives not the strongest thing you can buy.
                                                                                                      -- D

jbrock27

For something you don't ever plan on needing to remove, I like CA (Crazy Glue) Gel for plastic on plastic.  I am actually gluing something right now with it.  It gives you more time to work than the liquid CA and does not wick where you don't want it, unlike what the liquid version sometimes does.
Keep Calm and Carry On

the Bach-man

Dear NW,
I use Dr. Mike's:
http://www.drmikesglue.com/
It's the best I've found!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

electrical whiz kid

Quote from: jbrock27 on January 15, 2015, 09:21:35 PM
For something you don't ever plan on needing to remove, I like CA (Crazy Glue) Gel for plastic on plastic.  I am actually gluing something right now with it.  It gives you more time to work than the liquid CA and does not wick where you don't want it, unlike what the liquid version sometimes does.

Hey Jim;
You should see this stuff!  I just manufactured a corian counter top!  THis stuff is the cat's meow!  I had to laminate three courses to get the thickness I wanted; to match the rest of my kitchen.  Corian is a really good polymer to work with, as it stays "true".  Anyways, the epoxy I had mentioned, "STA-PUT", has some really good gap-filling properties and is really hard.  I can see some good value with it in this hobby.
RIch
(SGT C)