News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc

Started by noviceho, January 16, 2015, 06:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noviceho

when running my bachman gg1 with my two other trains, I get to a certan spot and the gg1 stops and the command control resets. it's the dcc that came with the echo valley set. I'm running the steam unit, one diesel and the gg1.

rogertra

Probably hitting a dirty or poorly connected piece of track, especially if it's always the same spot.

DCC is very sensitive to poorly connected or dirty track.

Cheers

Roger T.

Len

It sounds like something is causing a short at that spot. Is it part of a reverse loop?

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

noviceho

no reverse loop and yes, it is always the same spot

jbrock27

Have you checked the rail joiners at that spot?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

is this spot on a straight or a curve? if you turn the locomotive around does it still hang up at this spot?

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

noviceho

always same spot and I have turned the gg1 around and it is either on a straight rerailer or the turnout. I can't tell exactly which

jward

it sounds like the rerailer may be lifting the wheels off the track. some locomotives have been known to bottom out on rerailers, if the gearbox covers are too low. if this is the problem no amount of track cleaning or tweaking of rail joiners will solve it. move the rerailer elsewhere, or remove it entirely from your track if you are not using it as a power feeder. see if that solves the problem.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

What jward said. Check the bottom of the trucks for scuff marks on the gear humps.

If they're marked, sometimes flattening the hump a bit with a small file, or fine emery board, will create enough clearance to solve the problem.

Len

Irbricksceo

which turnout is it? and is the locomotive taking the divergent route? Sometimes, on larger locomotives, they can be lifted off the rails when pushing through a curve that is too tight and that could cause a short. I don't know the minimum radius of the GG1 but I'd guess it's 22.
Modeling NYC in N

Hunt

Quote from: Irbricksceo on January 18, 2015, 04:56:07 PM
. . .  I don't know the minimum radius of the GG1 but I'd guess it's 22.

Do not forget the Bachmann Online Store and the print Catalog, which can be downloaded, for product information. Both contain, Performs best on 22" radius curves or greater.

jbrock27

I could be mistaken of course, but don't believe the GG1 has humps like the Bachmann steamer that does, that is prone to
bottoming out on the Bachmann EZ track rerailer.
Keep Calm and Carry On

noviceho

i'm going to remove the rerailer and it is on a 22" curve. so that's not the problem. going to try it tomorrow. I will let you know what happens. thanks for all your help

Len

jbrock,

I don't own the B'mann GG1, but the IHC version I have has gear bumps so I figured it be worth a look.

Len

jbrock27

Sure.  Why not.
Keep Calm and Carry On