News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Another layout question

Started by Ron Zee, January 22, 2015, 11:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Zee

I just don't get it. E-Z Track is put out by Bachmann. There are LOTS of threads about all the stuff this company sells. But it seems to me that N-scale is the redheaded step child when it comes to layouts using the very stuff this company sells. Why is it so hard to find any layout plans using this track in N scale? Listing sizes, radius, turnouts, things like that? There are so many threads even on this very site that have layouts using other scales and companies tracks and systems but none so far that I have found on here using N-scale E-Z Track. I'd like to have a book or some kind of archive that shows the layout and lists what was used in the construction of the layout.

Let's start another thread, show a picture or drawing of your layout using ONLY N-scale E-Z Track parts and list the items used in it's construction. If we can't get a book on the subject, maybe a list like this can help people like me decide on what kind and shape of train layout we want to do without having to use some other companies products.

As of right now, I'm in a planning stage of a build, but with all the parts I've gotten off of e-Bay, I have no idea as to what I can or can't attempt to put together. What size will fit, Should it be portable, or in a fixed spot. What do I need to build it? I have limited space to use but without some ideas as to what I can use or size, I don't know really where to start. And no, I don't want to start over using someone else's equipment to build my layout. I happen to like the E-Z Track.

Joe Satnik

Hi, Ron.

An old thread on the subject:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,13806.0.html

The only thing I would add is that thortrains layouts are notorious for having "S" curves. 

Get experience recognizing and eliminating them:

Opposing curves need a straight length between them at least as long as your longest loco or car.

Turnouts can hide "S" curves.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Mike C

AnyRail is a track planning tool that includes EZ Track . https://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html

kmcsjr

Ron
i use a program called rrtrack 5 to plan my layouts. It has a cost, but it has saved me more than its cost, in extra track buys. It would have saved me more, if I didnt go nuts buying up O scale track called realtrax, on ebay, when I first started out. The pile of track I need to sell off, because I found ways to use larger radii and overbought before I was planning is as big as the track I use on my 11 x16 5 loop and a trolley layout.

But back to your topic. With software, you can create the other layout in eztrack. You may not get the exact same layout, but its a start.  As to finding layouts that folks have taken the time to document, in the detail you are hoping for... I am doubtful you will find many. Eztrack is fine track. Many start with it and by the time they are building the layout they would docume nt, they have moved to track that they ballast, or another companies preballasted track that is right or wrong, more popular.

I have one last suggestion. Let this topic go and see if you get more ideas, but start a HAPPY topic called "show us your eztrack layout". It might attract more folks than the current topic name.

Ron Zee

I should've put a little more thought into the post before I hit the button but it's that I see books with HO layouts in the stores that use the E-Z Track, but never anything in N-scale. Yes I realize that HO is more popular but I say we should stand and make ourselves heard. "Hey! We're here too!"

So, when the garage finally gets to the point I can set something up, maybe by then some people will have posted a few pictures of their set-ups.

Ken G Price

Quote from: Ron Zee on January 23, 2015, 06:14:16 PM
I should've put a little more thought into the post before I hit the button but it's that I see books with HO layouts in the stores that use the E-Z Track, but never anything in N-scale. Yes I realize that HO is more popular but I say we should stand and make ourselves heard. "Hey! We're here too!"

So, when the garage finally gets to the point I can set something up, maybe by then some people will have posted a few pictures of their set-ups.

One would think that Bachmann would make sure that there were lots of N-scale planing out there. But, as for me, I spent lots of time planing my layout and not looking at published ones. I did incorporate a few parts of other layouts, but I spent about a year deciding what I wanted.

And even then there were some changes to get the correct operations feel. No roundy round, when I was done. At the start that became very boring, very fast.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Ron Zee

I realize that just going in circles can get old real quick, but I for one enjoy the journey along with the destination. Building the layout for me is a lot of fun. Trying to figure out what goes where is part of the journey. Yes, it's frustrating and crazy impossible at times trying to do things like building placement, where to put the trees, should there be a lake or a river in this set-up, all of that stuff. That's how we get our own ideas, by seeing what someone else did and expanding on it in some way to make it our own. I guess that's what I'm after. 8)

Ken G Price

Quote from: Ron Zee on January 24, 2015, 12:27:11 AM
I realize that just going in circles can get old real quick, but I for one enjoy the journey along with the destination. Building the layout for me is a lot of fun. Trying to figure out what goes where is part of the journey. Yes, it's frustrating and crazy impossible at times trying to do things like building placement, where to put the trees, should there be a lake or a river in this set-up, all of that stuff. That's how we get our own ideas, by seeing what someone else did and expanding on it in some way to make it our own. I guess that's what I'm after. 8)
I have to agree with all that you say. I meant that having only a roundy round with out any other operational purpose got boring.  
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/