News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Mystery wire

Started by ketchamb@bellsouth.net, October 27, 2007, 09:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ketchamb@bellsouth.net

Hi,
I'm trying to re-assemble an HO Bachmann American 4-4-0 Steam engine for a neighbor. The motor works and so does the engine's headlight. I have a 3" long wire attached to the back of the engine and can't figure where the other end was attached or what it is used for. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Terry Ketcham

SteamGene

color?  Where attached?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

RAM

Is this one of the older 4-4-0s  or a spectrum?  If it is one of the older ones, do you need the tender for the locomotive to run.  My first thought is that it is the tender pickup.

ketchamb@bellsouth.net

Hi Guys,
The wire color is black and attached to the lead weight inside the locomotive cab with a brass screw. The other end has some solder on it but can't see where it came off of but it must be from inside the tender somewhere I assume. I believe this is an older unit. The tender trucks are pickups for the motor located in the  tender which works fine. A plastic drive shaft slips into the motor armature inside the tender, the other end of the shaft slips into a slot in the loco cab and drives the loco drivers. All seems to work OK without this wire attached but it must go somewhere.
Terry

SteamGene

Does the tender have a light?  If so, does it work?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

richG

The wire connects to the back of the loco weight and connects to the tender motor. The loco picks up track power on the engineers side and sends it to the motor. The tender trucks pick up power on the fireman's side and sends it to the motor.
I have some of these locos.
Here is a link to improve power pick up for these locos.
http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/bachmann_4-4-0/wipers/

Rich

SteamGene

Rich,
How would it work if the power lead from the drivers can't reach the motor?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

richG

Quote from: SteamGene on October 28, 2007, 12:57:29 PM
Rich,
How would it work if the power lead from the drivers can't reach the motor?
Gene

I have the older Bachmann tender drives so what you have is apparently not the same as mine.
Possibly one tender truck picks up on one side and the other picks up on the opposite side since the motor works.
It appears the loco light is wired to pick up directly from the tracks.
If the loco and tender work on the track I would not worry about it.
Also, if you look very closely at the solder leads on the tender you can usually see where the wire broke loose. I suspect the wire broke loose from one of the motor terminals. You can always get a little longer wire if the wire is too short.

http://litchfieldstation.com/xcart/product.php?productid=410120&cat=132&page=1

An old computer mouse has the proper size wire also. You might be able to find an unused mouse.
I use wire from an old mouse.

Rich