News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ez track problem

Started by ma454mike, January 25, 2015, 05:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ma454mike

I just got a 44440. 30 degree crossing.  Brand new in package.   I hooked it up with just curves to make a figure eight.   When I turn on my DC powerpack,  it goes into overload.   If I remove the crossover the engine runs fine.   What am I missing?

Len

Do you have any turnouts connecting the figure-8 loops together? That would create a reverse loop section that would cause shorts.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ma454mike

Nope.  Just curves on both sides of crossover.  Could the crossover be the problem?

ALCO0001

HI ,
Did you hook up each figure 8 loop to the 30 degree section or the other?Just checking if your checking.IF not remove the cross lay some straight sections in to substitute the cross temper-rarely   to test if the overload is gone then it was the cross , if not then check your wires to the track , the track itself and make sure there is nothing touching together + and-
Jack

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Every hobbyist should own and know how to use a Volt-Ohm meter. 

It would be perfect for troubleshooting the layout and crossING problems described in this thread.

DVOMs are cheap at Harbor Freight. 

When on sale with coupon, they're nearly free.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jbrock27

Too bad HF meters are junk.  If you are going to bother getting a meter, get a decent one for a few bucks more from Home Depot, Sears, Lowe's or True Value.  As the saying goes, you get what you pay for (or not as the case may be...).

Your question confuses me Jack?   Is possible the OP is not accurately describing what he has done or what he is using?
Keep Calm and Carry On

James in FL

Hi ma454mike,

QuotePosted by: ma454mike  Posted on: January 25, 2015, 06:37:14 PM  
Insert Quote  
Nope.  Just curves on both sides of crossover.  Could the crossover be the problem?  

Could be.

As Joe states, this would easy to troubleshoot with a DVOM.

By chance, are you feeding power to each loop on the 8?

guslcp

Please clarify....You mention using a "crossing" and "crossover" as well.  They are not the same.  A Crossing is a place where one track bisects another.  A crossover is two turnouts joined by their divergent tracks.  Each requires different wiring schemes. 
So, what is it that you have..??

Gus.

James in FL

@ guslcp

Please re-read the OP’s original post.
Then read it again, after that, read it again, maybe more slowly.
The OP states he is using a crossing for a figure 8. (30 degrees).

Although he is referencing a figure 8, he may not have used the proper terminology, he is definitely referring to a figure 8 crossing. (Although he references a figure 8 crossover).
If you still don’t recognize that, maybe reading the original post again may shed some light.
Not a crossover, but a crossing (figure 8). p/n 44440
Looks like this; (X).

There are too many here that don’t offer solutions to the problems (issues) but rather offer meaningless commentary.
Don’t be one of them.
You have that choice, before you click the post button.

The reply, above my first reply, offers no viable solution and is an example of this.
Don’t get caught up in this.

The rest of us are still awaiting a reply from the OP before we offer additional comment.

If you’re not part of the solution, then you’re part of the problem.
This offered with total respect for you and no hard feelings.
Sometimes the best thing to say, is to say nothing.
I try to be helpful, if I can’t, I don’t post.
Just saying.

Personally, from what I read, his shorting problem is self-induced, and I will forgo further commentary until he replies.

Seldom do I reply to others, rather than to the original OP.

TwinZephyr

OP provided the part number for the track piece in question: 44440 is a Crossing w/Steel Rail & Black Roadbed - E-Z Track(R) -- 30-Degree.

The crossing may be defective.  Temporarily replacing the crossing with a couple pieces of straight track (don't try to run your train with this track configuration - just apply power to the track to see if the power pack goes into overload) can help you determine if the crossing is bad or if there is a short circuit elsewhere in the track.

A crossing can also be tested by disconnecting it from the other tracks and using an ohmmeter or a light bulb (12v bulb if using your train power for testing or 1.5v bulb if using a battery for testing).  Electrically, the crossing should be like two pieces of straight track.  No power should flow from any part of one straight track to the other.

rogertra

From the Bachmann website: -

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2525

30 Degree Crossing

Steel alloy track with black roadbed; 1/card

In addition to many other uses, the 30 Degree Crossing is the centerpiece of a basic "Figure 8" track configuration.

To make a Figure 8, you also need 21 pieces of 18" Radius Curved Track (Steel Alloy) and 1 piece 18" Radius Curved Terminal Rerailer (Steel Alloy).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

Did you follow these instructions?

Note.  The correct terminology is very important when asking questions.  The 44440, according to the Bachmann site is a "Crossing"  (Diamond crossing in railroad terms) and not a "crossover".  That is something completely different.  They are not interchangeable.

Lets us know?

Cheers

Roger T.

Len

While the instructions on the package to use 21 pieces of 18" curves work, it does result in slight kinking. The kinks are very small, from being spread completely around the figure-8, so they're not an operational problem. To eliminate the kinks, replace the 18" curve on directly opposite sides of the figure-8 with two 1/2 18" curves and a 1.5" straight, like so:

Len

jbrock27

You are entitled to your opinion Jimmy in FL, but I disagree with you and I should resent your comments but won't.  My post was not "meaningless commentary" as you state, but was meant to bring attention to the possibility there may be a miscommunication going on that is NOT helping to solve the OPs problem; likely self induced.  Something that you have obviously picked up on, so don't degrade my comment.
And who are you to judge my intentions? I am often helpful, take a look around.  And what has been your solution to this problem?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

ma454mike, two questions:

1. Is your figure-8 pretty much as shown in the picture I posted?

2. If so, are you using two rerailer/power connection track, one in each lobe of the fig-8, to feed power to it?

If the answer to 1 is no, then we need a better description of what you're doing.

If the answer to 1 is yes, and 2 is no, then you probabily you have a bad 30% crossing.

If the answer to 1 is yes, and 2 is yes, try flipping 1, and only 1, of the power feeds at the rerailer.
-- If that clears the problem, one of them was connected opposite the other creating the short.
-- If that doesn't clear the problem, you probably have a bad 30% crossing.

Len

ma454mike

Ok. Thanks for all the suggestions.   I did in fact find that the crossing was bad by using a meter.   I returned that piece and exchanged it for a new one.    Now all is well.