Help with accessing gears on EMD F9 (Santa Fe 307) 1980s

Started by kralphc, January 25, 2015, 08:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kralphc

I am trying to access the gears on this train that I just acquired, and I am guessing that I need to remove the truck cover plate to access the gears.  However, I am unable to see how this comes off.  An online video of a newer model indicated that you could use a screwdriver to simply pry it off, but when I tried it seemed I was pulling the whole truck unit through the train frame.

Any help or guidance or reference to online resources/videos would be greatly appreciated!

Train is a Santa Fe 307, EMD F9 diesel.  Part of a 1982 promo set.

jward

this should be an old pancake motor engine. the power truck does come through the frame as a unit. if I recall correctly, once you have the unit out of the frame, there are tabs on either end of the truck which release the cover plate. be aware that the cover plate and the truck sideframes are cast as one unit, and you will need to have the entire truck out of the frame to release the tabs. it's been a while since I've worked on one of these. I am not sure what you are trying to do with the gears, but you may not be able to find replacement parts easily.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

That's a good question-why would have bought this, in this day and age?
Keep Calm and Carry On

kralphc

Thanks for the guidance.  I will try that.

Why I bought it?  Good question.......I am new to the hobby, so chalk this up to not knowing any better!

The train does run, but it is noisy.  I am guessing it hasn't been used in a very long time, so I want to lubricate the gears to see if it runs better.  It makes a clicking sound when it runs, and other forums have suggested that one of the gears may be cracked.

Wish me luck!

Len

If nothing else, you can usually pick up those old locos cheap enough to practice stripping, painting, and weathering techniques on the shells. Then once you're sure what you're doing, move on to the good stuff.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

kra, yes indeed, live and learn.  We have all been there.  Hopefully it is a cheap lesson.  I do wish you luck!
Keep Calm and Carry On