News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Crossovers

Started by kdgrant6, January 28, 2015, 07:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdgrant6

I'm helping my young grandson with his first train set (a Bachmann DCC Echo Valley). I know little, but I'm learning. 
A basic question: Is there a problem using Bachmann DCC crossovers to connect an outside oval with an inside oval.  It sounded simple enough, but I called a Bachmann tech representative who talked about electrical problems if I did so.  He recommended 4 turnouts to do that connection.  It sounds like weird advice to me.
Thanks for any help.

Len

The #6 crossovers have no built in way to isolate the two loops electrically. Whoever designed them assumed they would only be used in layouts operated with a Digital Command Control (DCC) system. DCC uses locomotives with decoders in them, that can be individually addressed, so old style electrical blocks aren't required. The reality is many people with DC layouts would also like to use them, but doing so requires serious physical and electrical modifications to create the required gaps for block operation with independently powered loops.

That said, if you are only using them with one locomotive that will just move between loops, controlled by one power supply, you can use them with no problem. If at some point you plan to add a second loco and power supply, use the individual turnouts and install the gaps yourself using insulated rail joiners.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

kdgrant6

Ok, now I am confused.  My grandson and I have only the DCC Bachmann Echo Valley set.  I have bought extra track.  He wants to buy an additional locomotive or two.  The Bachmann tech guy said that the EZ Commander controller AND the power supply that came with the set will control up to 10 locomotives or up to 10 combinations of locomotives and any peripherals that answer to DCC commands.  So I don't understand Len's reply that we could have only one locomotive without installing rail joiners (whatever that is).
We want to have 2 crossovers and 2 turn outs along with an additional locomotive or two--all controlled by the DCC controller and the power supply that came with the set.  This would involve a good many additional pieces of track--all Bachmann EZ Track.
So this plan isn't possible without electrical modifications?

Len

Sorry, missed the "(DCC Echo Valley)" in your original post.

I suspect the Tech Support person made the same mistake I did, and thought you had a DC layout.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, if you are operatinng DCC you can use the #6 Crossovers with no problems at all.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

kdgrant6

Thanks, Len.

So my expansion idea is ok?  I can use the EZ DCC controller and power supply that came with the DCC set to operate 3 locomotives, two crossovers, and two turn outs, leaving three more control positions unassigned for future use?