News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

old timer n scale engine

Started by Trainman1, January 24, 2015, 02:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman1

having issues with the engine/ drivers are turning but engine does not move am asking does this engine need more weight or does it have rubber on wheels that might be worn smooth?? Gary, Trainman1, Saterday 11am pacific Northwest

brokemoto

What issue of this locomotive do you have?

If you have a problem with one of the newer issues of this one, I would suspect that the thing is defective.  The newest issue of this one comes in a plastic box.  They are the best running of the bunch.   Some of the last issues in the cardboard box were pretty good, as well.

The older issues of this locomotive vary wildly model to model.  GF has one of the older issues that will pull more than the prototype would and will hold a steady twenty five SMPH.  I have several that, like yours, can not even get out of their own way.  The oldest issues of these, and those with the most problems, have a drive shaft that has hexagonal ends that slip over nubs on both locomotive and tender.  They resemble on crossbar on a four way lug wrench.

If yours came from a set, I can not tell you how to determine its age, unless it is a certain road name and/or appearance.  The oldest versions of these came only in UP and Central Pacific.   Those road names are available in the newest issues, as well.  The newest issue CP even has a new paint scheme.  There are two Baltimore and Ohio versions: a grey and red with a balloon stack and a blue with stovepipe stack.  The blue with stovepipe stack is strictly a newest issue.   The B&O with the balloon stack is a middle issue and newest issue.  The ATSF is strictly newest issue.  There are CB&Q and PRR that are both middle and newest issue.  I may have missed a few.

The newest issues of these are very good, even more so when you consider what they are.  B-mann upgraded the mechanism and made some adjustments to the tolerances.  Oldest and middle issues have wobbles, newest issues have almost none or none.  Some of these newest issues will hold a steady fifteen SMPH.

One thing about any of these is that they do not like plastic frog switches.   This is not a flaw, it is simply the result of a very small locmotive, that has a short wheelbase thus limited footprint for electrical contact.  If you will make the frog on B-mann turnouts live, or use a metal frog turnout of another manufacturer, you will minimise or even eliminate stalling problems on trunouts.

James in FL

Hi Trainman1,

Sounds like your traction tire(s) are missing.
Look to see that they are in place.
Get a magnifier if needed.
You will be able to feel them with your thumbnail.
If your motor and drive wheels are turning, it is not a driveshaft problem.

Let us know what you find.

Good luck

brokemoto

A bit of clarification, if I  might.  The description of the hexagonal ended drive shaft was just that-a description.  I never intended to suggest that the Original Poster might have a problem with the driveshaft.

I have two of these things with the aforementioned hexagonal ended drive shaft.  Neither one can get out of its own way, even on straight and level.

Conversely, I have several of the latest issues of these that came in the plastic box  All of those perform nicely.