News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Scratch-built Large Scale Track

Started by jviss, February 28, 2015, 09:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jviss

Greetings, first post and return from long (18+ year) hiatus from model railroading. 

I have a question: how common is it for someone to scratch-build large scale track.  The concept appeals to me, 'though I'm not sure I'd ever undertake it, except perhaps for display purposes.  I'm curious as to technique, and where one would find components: rail, tie plates, tie stock, joint bars, nuts and bolts, spikes, etc.; and what techniques one would employ for accurate and long-lasting installations; and what techniques one would employ for four-season, outdoor roadbed to support this. 

Thanks in advance!

jv (John)
Bachmann Big Hauler fan
Pennsylvania Railroad Set - generation 3 locomotive
Emmet Kelly Circus set - generation 3 locomotive
Open Streetcar
4-6-0 D&RGW "Bumblebee" Anniversary loco
various passenger cars and rolling stock
indoor, temporary at this point
DCC: Digitraxxxxx Super Chief Xtra 8A

uscgtanker

Welcome back. I have not laid any hand laid track in scale but have laid real track. I belive there is a company were you can get the rail and components for switch frogs and points. For wood ties you can use wood rubber and even concrete, but then you would have to replace bad ties every 5-20 years.  Track plates are a simple bar with 4 holes to join the track and hold electricity if needed. There is a lot to worry about with scratch built roadbed drainage, fixed structure, cleared right of way, rail gaps for expansion and more. If you want I can scan my FRA track codes book for you.

laying rail is a time consuming task but well worth it in the end.

Old John

I use code 250, and a company called OLD PULMAN has a lot of track kits very reasonably priced, and very responsive with help.

jviss

Thanks very much for the replies!

jv
Bachmann Big Hauler fan
Pennsylvania Railroad Set - generation 3 locomotive
Emmet Kelly Circus set - generation 3 locomotive
Open Streetcar
4-6-0 D&RGW "Bumblebee" Anniversary loco
various passenger cars and rolling stock
indoor, temporary at this point
DCC: Digitraxxxxx Super Chief Xtra 8A