News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Minimum radius

Started by Elnovato, February 02, 2015, 11:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elnovato

Hello everyone. Does anyone know what is the recommended minimum radius for the new Bachmann #13702 72' Heavyweight Coach B&O 5482 HO? Other brand's streamlined passenger cars that are about the same length (a bit less than 10 inches) do work on 18 inch radius curves, but have 2 wheel trucks (as opposed to three in Bachmann's). I have a small 7x4 layout with a 3 car (diesel) Santa Fe Train and I am thinking of adding a similar B&O (I know, it is an odd mix).
Best to all,
El Novato.

ACY

Reccomended minimum radius for the Heavyweight passenger cars is 22 inch radius

Elnovato

ACY thanks. Why is that? I ask because it is the same length as the Athearn Streamlined ones I have on my Bachmann Soundvalue SF F7 (72 feet or some 10 inches long). Is it because of the body vs truck mounted couplers? Is it the 2 vs 3 wheelled trucks?
Further insights very welcome.
:)

ACY

All I know is a 22" suggested minimum radius is stated. Having body mounted couplers and 3 axle trucks doesn't help things. However it might be possible to operate the passenger cars on 18" radius anyways, it just isn't suggested by the manufacturer.

Update: I just tested a 10 car train comprised of Bachmann heavyweight passenger cars on 18" radius needless to say they have trouble with 18" radius, so it seems that 22" is a good recommendation.