A few questions concerning DCC and 2 rail O scale

Started by ACY, January 31, 2015, 02:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

Okay, knowing it's brass is helpful. For an O-scale 2-rail EM-1, more than likely it's either a Westside Models, Akane, or Alleghany Scale Models locomotive. They all made, or imported, EM-1's.

Originally it would have had an open frame motor, but it sounds like it's been upgraded to a can motor. Odds are the upgrade motor is a Pittman. Sometimes the drive train is upgraded at the same time as the motor, but not always. You can tell by whether the gears are open and visible, or enclosed within a gear box. Upgraded drive trains have the gear box.

The running gear on these things creates a lot of drag, so I would expect the loco by itself to pull about 0.75 amp when running with a can motor upgrade and original drive train. It should drop closer to 0.5 amp when running if the motor and drive train were both upgraded. And like I mentioned earlier, with either drive train the current draw is going to go up as you start putting cars behind it. Especially if they're not very free rolling.

So, while the Dynamis by itself should be fine for loco programing, I would definately add the booster for running trains.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ACY

Quote from: Len on January 31, 2015, 06:58:55 PM
Okay, knowing it's brass is helpful. For an O-scale 2-rail EM-1, more than likely it's either a Westside Models, Akane, or Alleghany Scale Models locomotive. They all made, or imported, EM-1's.
Were all 3 of those available back in the 1950's?
I am almost certain the locomotive has 2 motors so would that affect the draw very much?

Len

I'm not sure if all three were produced at the same time, but all were available at some point between roughly 1955 and 1962.

And the two motors is why the loco only amps would be in the 0.5 to 0.75 range, rather than 0.25 to 0.50 for a single motor. Although all of them have some discrepancies in the "piping", the Arkane model is considered the most accurate detail wise.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ACY

Quote from: Len on January 31, 2015, 11:19:28 PM
the Arkane model is considered the most accurate detail wise.
I have seen a few Akane EM-1's in HO scale and they are very nicely detailed as well. The detail is pretty good on the O scale model so it may be an Akane.

ebtnut

I believe that Westside brought in the brass O scale EM-1.  That's probably been close to 20 years ago now.  Heavy duty O scale brass locos could draw around 2 amps with a big train.  I would strongly consider using the booster to be safe.

ACY