Will an N scale 2 6 6 2 that is DCC ready work on a DC layout

Started by rayk89, January 31, 2015, 03:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayk89

I have a DC layout, my question is will a bachmann 2 6 6 2 or 2 10 2 that is DCC ready, work without problems on my DC track? I bought a doodlebug that was DCC equipped and it stops after 5 minutes of running.I do not want to change to DCC. Thanks.

ACY

If it is DCC ready then it has no decoder installed and is in fact an ANALOG locomotive until you install a decoder. DCC ready means that there is no decoder installed yet but it is ready for a easy and quick decoder installation and the motor is electrically isolated.
If it is DCC equipped it will operate better if you remove the decoder and install jumpers or you can manually bypass the decoder if no jumpers are included. DCC locomotives operate best with a DCC system which allows you to take advantage of all of the features. On an analog layout it requires a higher voltage to move initially and does not have as good low speed or overall speed control. It is only optional  though if you decide to leave the decoder or remove it.

spookshow

All of Bachmanns's 2-10-2's come with factory-installed decoders, as do all of Bachmann's C&O H-4 2-6-6-2's. Bachmann's (earlier) USRA 2-6-6-2's are simply "DCC-Ready" (IE, no factory-installed decoder). However, the latter do have some performance issues that might scare some people away. More info on both models here -

http://www.spookshow.net/loco/bach2662.htm

http://www.spookshow.net/loco/bach2102.html

Any Bachmann locomotive with a factory-installed decoder should (in theory) run just as well on a DC layout as it does on a DCC layout. So, if you have a DCC-equipped Doodlebug that is misbehaving on your layout, my advice would be to send it back to Bachmann for replacement. And if all decoder-equipped locomotives fail to operate properly on your layout, you might want to look into upgrading your power supply / throttle.

Cheers,
-Mark

ACY

Quote from: spookshow on January 31, 2015, 09:04:55 PM
And if all decoder-equipped locomotives fail to operate properly on your layout, you might want to look into upgrading your power supply / throttle.
Perhaps he is using some sort of pulse controller (like some MRC models) which often confuses and causes problems when running DCC locomotives?

RGW

I agree when using my ( I run DC)Tech 2 with build in pulse my dual mode DCC Y3s would act strange and give me problems, when I switched the pulse off or use a non pulse throttle the problems when away. I only use non/turned off  pulse controllers now.

Too me the quality of newer N scale locos is that pulse is unneeded to get great slow speed running

Just my thoughts RGW