Name the city.

Close Gene, but no cigar.

ASIANLIFE

Latitude:  48° 25' North 
Longitude:  123° 21' West 

Name the city.

Roger-

How about Victoria ?

Me ?- On a small island called Tsing Yi; in the New Territories of Hong Kong SAR-  just a few miles from the Kader H.O. - Parent co of Bachmann.

Paul

taz-of-boyds

I borrowed TerraServer-USA:

- http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?Lon=-123.35&Lat=48.4166666666667&w=1

At first I got 54 km west of Portland, helps to put in the coordinates right!

Who is Juan de Fuca?
Charles

SteamGene

Asian Life, they're still called the New Territories even after China took over?  Wow.  Do all direction instructions still begin "Take the Kowloon Ferry..."?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

Quote from: ASIANLIFE on October 30, 2007, 04:44:53 AM
Latitude:  48° 25' North 
Longitude:  123° 21' West 

Name the city.

Roger-

How about Victoria ?

Paul

Paul is the winner of today's gold plated Noprize.  Well done that man.

rogertra

Quote from: taz-of-boyds on October 30, 2007, 12:09:27 PM

Who is Juan de Fuca?

Charles

Charles.

Google and Wikipeadia are our friend and will answer most any question you may have.

"The Strait of Juan de Fuca is the principal outlet for the Georgia Strait and Puget Sound, connecting both to the Pacific Ocean. It provides part of the International Boundary between the United States and Canada. It was named in 1788 by the English Captain John Meares of the ship Felice for Juan de Fuca, the Greek sailor who claimed to have gone on a voyage with Spanish explorers in 1592 to seek the fabled Strait of Anián."

SteamGene

Wasn't there a major non-war not fought there between England and the U.S. over the U.S. -Canadian border at Juan de Fuca?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

ASIANLIFE

Asian Life, they're still called the New Territories even after China took over?  Wow.  Do all direction instructions still begin "Take the Kowloon Ferry..."?
Gene

Hi Gene

yes still called New Territories - see www.ypmap.com  ........can you spot Tsing Yi island.?

Star Ferry is still working across the harbour from Hong Kong Island to Kowloon. One of the world's ''must-do'' trips, although I usually take the Mass Transit Railway underneath- as I am about to do in 20 minutes - from MongKok [my office] to Central.

Stephen D. Richards

Asianlife,
  cool!    I was in Hong Kong in '85.  You're are right, the Star Ferry is a must do trip!  Like Steamgene, I too am surprised at the "New Territories" and that the Star Ferry is still running.  I bought my daughters all Star Ferry dolls and they still have them!  I also took the Hydrofoil to Macao.  I then went into southern China.  Great trip!     Stephen

SteamGene

I will assume that Ying Si Island is the largest island to the right of Hong Kong Island.  Am I correct?   I thought that the ferry was still in operation.  I just remember from when I was in Hong Kong as a kid that no matter where you were, if you asked directions to someplace, the instructions began "Take the Kowloon ferry..."  Sort of like the infamous receipe for chicken stew attributed to the minority of your choice: "First, you steal a chicken..."
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

ASIANLIFE

Stephen- yep, hydrofoil trip to Macao is great. If you went there in 85 then  you may not recognise it today as it resembles Vegas. The Venetian is the latest to open just recently, and apparently Macao is already earning more in gambling revenue than Vegas. We prefer Wynn's- but just for the food, not the tables.

Gene- nope. But I would like to live there. Tsing Yi Isand is the small island between Lantau [where the new airport is] and the New Terrirories mainland.

For those interested - you can view the streetmap location of the Kader H.Q. building, on the same website - www.ypmap.com. Their address is below [n.b. the site is not very user friendly as details have to be 100% correct- no fuzzy logic there !]

22, Kai Cheung Road,
  Kowloon Bay, Kowloon,
  Hong Kong

Stephen D. Richards

Asianlife,  hmmm sounds interesting even though I do not gamble.  It was pretty lively in 85 but not quite like Vegas.  The last time I was there I went about twenty miles into China and ate at a small local resturant.  I don't remember the name but still remember the taste.  It was great!  Would love to take another trip back there again.  Alas, as always, money and time interferes!  Thanks for the update.   Stephen