News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Parts box

Started by Dgun, January 22, 2015, 07:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dgun

Does anyone happen to have an older 4-4-0 Motor Transmission Shaft to spare? The part number is 9852. I picked up an old 4-4-0 with the straight smoke stack and got it running but I am missing the motor shaft. The catalog only shows the newer type motor shaft. On my engine the motor is in the tender and the worm gearing is in the engine. The shaft connects the two.

Thanks.

Dave

trainzboy

I am also looking for this shaft.  But if none to spare does someone have a detailed diagram of this unit with dimensions.

Dgun

Was at a train show last weekend. Unfortunately for me it was 99% HO and up. However, I talked to one of the two n gage people there and he suggested that I give model airplane fuel line tubing a try. Haven't tried it yet but it might work. Some of that tubing is pretty stiff in short lengths. The problem would be to get it to fit over the hex nuts without the tubing wall thickness causing a jam inside either the engine or the tender.

Old John

The shafts on both the engine and tender have splined shafts, you can gentle pull the hex cup off of both and use the new slotted cups and new "tee" drive shaft.  The "clear" model airplane fuel line walls are too thick and won't flex enough, see if your local hobby shop carries surgical tubing, it is used on "free flight" model aircraft so the flight timers (called Tick Offs) can pinch the tubing and cut off fuel to the engine. It is very thin walled and very flexible.  I have 9 of the older style 4-4-0's and have faced your drive shaft problem.  I have heard of folks getting the drive shafts and cups from Atlas 4-4-0's and Athearn 2-6-0's and using them, but I do not have any first hand experience with those parts.

Dgun

As a quick check I used a piece of silicone fuel tubing. The size I had fit onto the motor shaft in the tender and I was able to turn the motor using the tubing. Need to figure out just how long the piece of tubing needs to be in order to fit on the worm shaft in the engine and to allow enough length for me to get the tubing on the engine worm shaft when the tender is hooked onto the engine.

BTW, the tubing I used is the blue silicone tubing not the clear tubing.

Old John

Dgun,

Does it flex very easily, if so where did you get it, as the surgical tubing is expensive. 

As to the measurement, secure one end of the tubing on the motor shaft in the tender, assemble the engine to the tender via the draw bar, insert the tubing into the drive shaft opening in the back of the cab and mark the tubing where it enters the cab, add 3/8' to that mark and that is your length.

Dgun

Try any hobby shop that caters to fuel powered R/C airplanes. Ask for the medium size silicone fuel tubing.
It will be either blue or pink in color. It is quite flexible.

Not sure your process for getting the length length will work. I have an excess of 18 inches sticking out from the tender. If I hook up the engine I am not sure if I will be have the room to fit the tubing. However, I haven't given it a shot as yet.

Let me know how it works for you.

Mike C

You'll probably have to guestimate the tubing length , then attach the tubing to the other shaft before attaching the drawbar .

Dgun

That's what I expected that I would have to do. I wonder if anyone n this foru has the piece and would measure its length? That would give a good start.