News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Burlington 52' 16 wheel tender

Started by teedoff8659, February 07, 2015, 06:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teedoff8659

Bachmann made this with the 4-8-4 Northerns....does anyone know what type fuel this locos used? It doesn't appear to be a coal tender.

Len

If the tender is completely enclosed, like the coal bunker has been plated over, then it used fuel oil for the fire.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

I am pretty  certain that the prototype of this tender is an ATSF tender for oil burning 4-8-4's, and the prototype for the engine you have is most likely a Santa Fe engine, not a CB&Q engine.

The oil used was only a small notch above tar, called "bunker C"' that had to be heated to move to the firebox at all.  There were steam pipes from the engine to do this.  I learned about them the hard way 50 years ago when I climbed into the cab of an oil burner and grabbed bare handed what I thought was a handrail on the tender.  There's a reason why railroaders always wore heavy gloves and still do.

RAM

What kind of locomotive was that.   I thought all the heating lines below the deck.

Trainman203

It was a very light 2-8-2 from the Santa Maria Valley in CA.  I seem to recall it being no. 101, maybe it was 100.

It had a Vanderbilt tender at the time but that might not have been original, could have been an ex-SP tender.  No matter, that pipe was hot to the max with live steam in it.  It took  weeks for the blisters to go away.

I also learned to wear appropriate clothes in a steam engine cab.  White Levi's were popular at the time.  That particular pair went in the trash at the end of the the day.