News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New layout under construction

Started by Loco Bill Canelos, February 09, 2015, 09:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loco Bill Canelos

We have settled in well after our move and I finally got my basement ready for layout construction, and have started benchwork.  Unfortunately I have lost all  my specifications for track spacing,  bridge clearance for over and under tracks and tunnel portal clearances etc etc .   Somewhere online was a listing of all that information for 1:20.3, 1:22.5, and 1:29 which I had kept for reference. I have tried several searches but have had no luck finding it again.

Anyway I am hoping someone can point me to the link or related links so I can start track laying.  in the next few weeks.

Than ks,

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Kevin Strong

I can't think of an on-line resource for that, but for my 1:20 stuff, I use 7" center-to-center spacing on sidings, 7" minimum width on bridges and tunnels (8" if they're on curves), and a 10" minimum vertical clearance.

If you know you're only going to be running the smaller/narrower 1:29 stuff, you can get away with 6" centerline and horizontal clearances on tunnels (7" on curves), and 9" height.

Later,

K

Loco Bill Canelos

Thanks Kevin,

It is helpful, I plan to lay the track to accommodate 1:20.3, that way I can run any large scale.  Doing it in the basement has been challenging since I have set the maximum grade at 2%.

I should have been more specific about what I was looking for though.  The NMRA has a clearance tool which looks sorta like a tunnel portal, some one in an article told how to make one for large scale and I made one which has become lost in the move.  I was hoping to make another one because it makes it super simple to measure all types of clearances.   

None the less I will just wing it the old fashioned way, and will go with the 1:20.3 demensions.

Thanks again, Bill

JerryB

Bill:

Check your email.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Loco Bill Canelos