News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dynamis Program

Started by 3engineers, February 10, 2015, 06:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3engineers

Well, I have searched this forum and have not found the answer.
I just received an EZ Command Dynamis controller and it works well as long as you do not try and change the Loco address. I have followed all the steps and I cannot get it to work on anything but the default of "3". What should I do or is this a factory problem?

Also I noticed that the signal strength is weak, you have to have the controlled within 5 feet of the receiver.
-I have watched the Bach vids and changed the batteries.
-I have followed all instructions and when I hit the program button the display shows the change in address but the engine will not respond (unless on 3)

I really like the features but the main reason I purchased this controller was the ability to operate multiple engines!

Any help is appreciated!

Len

Sometimes it's an issue with the decoder not pullinng enough current for the programing system (Dynamis in your case) to "see" it. This is fairly common with some brands of decoders.

Ideally, you should set up a seperate programing track for this. It's not something you want to do on the layout if other locos are on the track.

At any rate, with power off, lay a 1K ohm 1/4 watt resistor across the track near the loco. Bring power up, and do your programing. It should work now, as adding the resistor in parallel with the loco will increase the current flow to and from from the DCC system, allowing it to see "acks" from the decoder.

If not, you may have a problem with the Dynamis system.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

AGSB

When you program a decoder, in this case change its address from 3 to ?, the decoder should respond by having the engine move on the track a very short distance. If it is not doing this then the programming did not work.

Some basic questions;
Are you programming on a programming track or on the main layout?
How long an engine address are you trying to enter, a short address (2 digits) or a long address (4 digits).

If you are trying to enter a long address, this can only be done on a programming track. You can only enter a 2 digit address while on the main layout.

Also check all the connections between the control box and the track to make sure they are tight, make sure your track is clean and the wheels on the loco are clean.

3engineers

Thanks for the input, I will try again tonight.
I did notice the movement when i change other settings of the engine, like speed range.

The track is new and the engine is new so i would think they are clean.

The only mention of a "service track" in the manual was if you were using a pro box.
I will make a spur off the main line close to power supply to see if that makes a differance.

Thanks Again

AGSB

Quote from: 3engineers on February 10, 2015, 03:43:50 PM

The only mention of a "service track" in the manual was if you were using a pro box.
I will make a spur off the main line close to power supply to see if that makes a differance.

Thanks Again

Bottom of page 9 in the manual

"EXAMPLE: Changing the address and defaults of locomotive

Long addresses ("4-digit") must be written to a decoder by programming using a
Service Track with no other locomotives present otherwise all locomotives will adopt
the address. If necessary create a separate length of track powered by your Dynamis
for this purposes. Short addresses ("2-digit") can be written to a decoder
using Main Track programming with other locomotives on the track."

Len

Quote from: 3engineers on February 10, 2015, 03:43:50 PM

If you make a spur off the mainline for programing, make sure both rails are gapped to it can be completely isolated during programing. Otherwise it's no different than being on the main layout.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

3engineers

well the only way i got it to work was to program on the service track setting not the main track setting.
It made no difference as to the location of the engine weather it was on the main or the spur.
I was only changing the address to 1, 2,  and 4 for the three engines i currently have that are DCC.

I do think that i might need a booster for the track voltage because when i tried to run two engines at once there was a slight "skip" from time to time in the movement of the engines.

Thanks for your input and this has been a big help. This was my first time using this forum and will not be my last.

Hunt

As been brought up Dynamis has restrictions as to the type of address you can program by programming mode. Also, some decoders have address programming restrictions by address type and programming mode.

Need to know the address number you are changing from and to plus the decoder info . If you don't know decoder info then if factory installed decoder what is the locomotive and who made it.

Hunt

Quote from: 3engineers on February 10, 2015, 07:08:11 PM
. .  .
I do think that i might need a booster for the track voltage because when i tried to run two engines at once there was a slight "skip" from time to time in the movement of the engines.

. . .

A DCC power booster (not to be confused with a DCC programming track booster)  is added to increase the available current (amps) not the voltage. Only if there is more current draw than the system can supply is power booster needed.

If your locomotive "skip" is due to voltage drop you need to first check the track rail joiner connections then clean track, wheels and electrical pickups. If that does not solve the skip issue then properly adding wiring feeders are required, baring issues with locomotives. 

3engineers

Quote from: Hunt on February 10, 2015, 07:20:06 PM
As been brought up Dynamis has restrictions as to the type of address you can program by programming mode. Also, some decoders have address programming restrictions by address type and programming mode.

Need to know the address number you are changing from and to plus the decoder info . If you don?t know decoder info then if factory installed decoder what is the locomotive and who made it.

Sorry i thought i was clear, i was going from the address of 3 to sometime like 1, 2 or 4.
Anyway i have it working now.

3engineers

Quote from: Hunt on February 10, 2015, 09:10:51 PM
Quote from: 3engineers on February 10, 2015, 07:08:11 PM
. .  .

. . .

A DCC power booster (not to be confused with a DCC programming track booster)  is added to increase the available current (amps) not the voltage. Only if there is more current draw than the system can supply is power booster needed.

If your locomotive "skip" is due to voltage drop you need to first check the track rail joiner connections then clean track, wheels and electrical pickups. If that does not solve the skip issue then properly adding wiring feeders are required, baring issues with locomotives. 

Sorry i got my verbage wrong, i will check track connections and see if the problem still persist