Front head light bulb isn't working on HO shay

Started by shushu, February 11, 2015, 03:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shushu

Hi,
I wonder how I can change the front light bulb.    I would be appreciated if someone tell me how to replace the bulb step by step,

Thank you.   :)

trainmainbrian

You can find out on hear... Just Click Parts & service & Information after that Click Product information & the SHAY's are listed & shows a breakdown of every part of that Loco including part #'s....
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

Richg

Unless someone else answers, looks like you have to pry the smoke box front off the boiler according to the Parts diagram.
I would use a Xacto knife blade.
The parts Page also shows the bulbs you can order. They come in pairs with attached wire leads.
I have to assume the other bulb works.
If Geared Steam is around, he would know but have not seen him here in sometime.

Rich

Richg

Is the loco Dcc equipped? The diagrams show a PC board with eight pin socket for the DC adapter or decoder.

Rich

shushu

Thank Rich,
This comes with 8 pin female plug.    I checked the diagram and wonder how to take the boiler from chassis and the boiler cover from boiler to put the bulb.

Richg

Quote from: shushu on February 11, 2015, 08:14:42 PM
Thank Rich,
This comes with 8 pin female plug.    I checked the diagram and wonder how to take the boiler from chassis and the boiler cover from boiler to put the bulb.

i saw the Geared stream site earlier but no data on the headlight. I guess I should have posted the page anyway. lots of work to get to the headlight.
Just a guess but looks like the light bulb transmits light up into the headlight assembly. maybe a light pipe.

rich

shushu

This site helps me a lot.  However, how to take off the cover to see the bulb inside,  what kind of tool?  ???

Richg

Quote from: shushu on February 12, 2015, 02:54:43 PM
This site helps me a lot.  However, how to take off the cover to see the bulb inside,  what kind of tool?  ???

As I said earlier, maybe an X-Acto knife blade. I had to do that with a HO  loco to pry the smoke box front off the boiler. The diagram does not do this justice so just a guess.
pull the boiler loose from the frame. Maybe you can gain access from insider the boiler.
take pictures along the way that might help others here. All the Google searches so far have not shown me anything about the front.this is model railroading.

rich

shushu

Thank you Rich,
You said "pry off the cover from boiler".  It is so stiff, I am afraid I might bend it.  :-[

Richg

Quote from: shushu on February 12, 2015, 05:08:59 PM
Thank you Rich,
You said "pry off the cover from boiler".  It is so stiff, I am afraid I might bend it.  :-[

It was for me when I did the HO Richmond 4-4-0 a few years ago. Boxcar load of patience and lots of tiny prying was necessary to prevent damaging the smoke box flange.
With I could be more positive.
The question that begs asking, are you "sure" the bulb is no good?

Rich

dwbum

Sushu,
My experience with a ten wheeler may not apply to your shay, but after chasing around, removing the front boiler cover, and finally the boiler shell; I found that the LED was working but the circuit board was bad. After replacing the circuit board, the head light LED works like a charm.
I suggest that you do some diagnostic work, if possible, before going to deep into the loco.
Don