News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Small switch yard layout

Started by kdgrant6, February 12, 2015, 09:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdgrant6

I'm attempting to finalize a 4 'x 8' layout.  I'm trying to decide on a small yard layout 3' x 3' (approximately).  I have a double oval layout.  The inside oval will have a left turnout mid-way down the 8 ft. dimension, which would turn into the yard.  I have assorted 18" curved and straight EZ track, two left DCC turnouts, and one right DCC turn out.  I also have a couple of rerailers I'm trying to position in the most effective way, as well as two uncoupling magnets I need to attach to straight track and locate strategically in the "yard."

I would very much welcome suggestions for this small yard.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

kdgrant6

Thanks, Terry.  I'm a grandfather myself, spurred on to the hobby by two interested grandsons.  I could follow your plans pretty well, but I couldn't quite pick up which was over and which was under.

Len

kd,

A couple of questions, when you say you have a double oval layout, does it have crossovers between the ovals?

And do the "two left DCC turnouts, and one right DCC turn out" include the left turnout to get from the inner loop to the yard? Or are they in addition to the left turnout from the inner loop?

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Len

Also, here's another idea for a double oval with yard. Note the section of inner loop between the crossovers doubles as a switching lead for the yard. The grey square shown on the yard throat is a coupler magnet location. You'd probably want to put others to allow cars to be set out in the passing siding.

Len

kdgrant6

Thanks, Len.

Yes, there are a left and a right crossover on the lower side.  In between, is a left turn out to get to the "yard."  I'm using the other left and the right turn outs to experiment with getting the best small yard arrangement I can manage.

I'm open to any suggestions.

jward

my suggestion:
do not use the 18r standard switches in a yard. if you must use then, use either all rights or all lefts to form a ladder track and don't try to make your tracks parallel with the straight side. using them in a crossover, or in the yard that was diagrammed elsewhere in this thread will result in 18r reverse curves, which are a well known and documented source of trouble.

the use of the larger 4 or 5 switches will pretty much eliminate the reverse curve problem.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

Jeff,

I agree, but KD said he already had the regular switches. That's why I did the diagram the way I did.

I just started another thread suggesting Bachmann come out with a "Yard size" #5 switch that's shorter than the current one, to make building yards easier.

Len

RAM

Len, On your design, could you move the yard turnout to the left one section & make the yard that much bigger?

kdgrant6

Here's a link to Bachmann's catalog:
http://resources.bachmanntrains.com/bachmann2015/

The turn out they sent me is the first one shown on p. 114.

Notice how it turns more sharply.

Len

Quote from: RAM on February 15, 2015, 07:47:54 PM
Len, On your design, could you move the yard turnout to the left one section & make the yard that much bigger?

I could, but kd said he was putting the turnout near the middle of the oval.

Len

Len

Okay, just for jollies I redid the double oval w/yard with #4 turnouts and shifting the yard turnout to the left. It opened up space for an industrial area on the other side, and using #4's with 1/2 18" radius curves makes it easy to get tracks parallel without eating up half the layout board. The lower industiral spur could also go off at an angle instead of coming back parallel. Revised layout:

And the track list to put it together:

Track list for EZ-Track Double Oval w/Yard

QTY  DESCRIPTION
(12)    44501 R-18 30° curve
(16)    44503 R-22 22.5° curve
( 1)     44575 #6 LH crossover
( 1)     44576 #6 RH crossover
( 2)     44592A 2 inch straight
( 2)     44592C 1.25 inch straight
(20)    44511 9 inch straight
( 4)     44557 #4 LH turnout
( 7)     44514 4.5 inch straight
( 2)     44592 1.5 inch straight
( 2)     44592 1.0 inch straight
( 4)     44531 R-18 15° curve
( 7)     44591 Hayes bumper
( 3)     44558 #4 RH turnout
Total of 83 items

Len

kdgrant6

Very nice. Len.  I haven't locked down the layout yet, so I'll try tightening the over/under loop to get more room so that I can put the turnout first coming out of the curve.

Could you use a Wye after the 1st left hand on the bottom?

Also (and this is potentially dumb) Which would be the best direction for the trains to run in your layout?  Where would you put the uncouplers?

Len

Using the #5 Wye doesn't really gain anything. In fact, because combined with the curve sections need to bring the yard track parallel again, it's quite a bit longer than using #4 turnouts.

I'd put one magnet in the straight portion of the diverging leg of the mainline to yard turnout. Another just into the industrial spur, and somewhere near each of the crossovers, so the "Yard Lead" and outter loop can be used as a runaround track. You might also want to snag a couple of those bamboo BBQ skewers. They're handy for 'spot' uncoupling when you don't want to hunt up a magnet.

I'd probably run the inner loop clockwise, and the outter loop counterclockwise, to cut down on "facing point" switching manuevers. Of course the "caboose track" in the yard has to be facing point, just to keep things interesting.

Len

kdgrant6

Hi, Len.

I've been in the basement working with the "yard," an overstatement based on what I have, but still fun.  I had your layout image on my cell phone and was trying to see how it would work, even though I had only 3 turnouts.  After awhile, I looked at your layout image upside down on my phone, and thought, "Hey."  I modified that a bit, but I'm letting it sit to see if it's a keeper.

So now, coming out of the bottom turn moving left, I have a left turnout on the inside loop.  (BTW, it's an even tighter turn than a #4.  It's a Bachmann EZ Track #44130 (# 44131 for the right.)  AS left # 4 is #44139.

This turnout is followed by two crossovers.

The turn out has a 9"straight, then a right (sharp) turnout, giving the two parallel yard tracks you show at the top of the layout.  I then have another left turnout on the spur closer to the mains, and run another parallel track back toward the left. 

It gives me space in the upper right hand section of the layout to do a village.  I can run a road over the crossovers and around past the bumpers.

Thanks for the help!