News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

turnout switches

Started by Penn1974, February 13, 2015, 05:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn1974

What is the length of the short sections of straight track if I purchase a #5 or #6 turnout and the reason for that short section?

Len

If you flip the short section over, you'll find a scribe lines on each side regular track sections don't have. They are a guide for cutting the roadbed it will fit the diverging route correctly. It'd be nice if instructions were included on the packaging.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Penn1974

Thanks. So what is the length of those short sections, what are they accomplishing on both the 5 & 6 turnouts? Is there somewhere that I can find this info?

Len

Try attaching a regular piece of track to the diverging leg of a #5 turnout. You'll find the road gets in the way, so you can't connect it properly. The included short section is to give you a piece of track that has the correct angle to cut on already marked, so you don't have to experiment with a regular section. You could also use it as a guide to make a cardboard template for cutting the correct angle on any other track section you wanted to attach to the #5.

Len

Penn1974

I understand that the short piece is for attaching to the divergent side. I am trying to design my layout before purchasing any track with the anyrail program. I would like to know the length of that short section of the 5 & 6 so I could look in the library and put that piece into the plan if Bachmann sells that item as a stand alone product. Does that short piece make a certain radius comparable to the number of the turnout? Does it make the final result parallel to the main line? Thanks.

Len

The short piece is straight, and just extends the length of the diverging leg while "blending" the roadbed. I don't have a #5 to be able to measure the short section, but it looks about 1-3/4" long in the picture.

If you want to use a curve section instead, you'd have to cut the angle on the roadbed yourself.

The angle of a #5 switch is 12 degrees, which doesn't match any of the smaller radius curves. So if you want to use a curve to create a parallel track, you'll have to cut one down yourself. It's not hard to do, I explained the technique to someone else here: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,29354.msg216104.html#msg216104

For operational reliability, I would suggest cutting down a 22" radius curve, rather than an 18" radius curve.

Len

Hunt

Per my tech notes -- The short straight included with the Bachmann HO # 5 and #6 turnout is 2.25" long.

With a Bachmann HO E-Z Track #5 turnout use
     one    2.25" straight item no 44513
     one  33.25" radius 12 degree curve track item no. 44509
to bring the divergent back to parallel.

12 degree 33.25"
         /
      2.25" 
      / 
   #5 === 9" straight

I have not looked at #6 turnout but experiment using Item no. 44530 - one-third section 18" radius curved track in place of  Item 44509

Len

Hunt,

No disagreement about the 33.25" curve, if you can live with the giagantic center-to-center spacing between the parallel tracks.

I suggest cutting down a 22" radius curve to leave space on a small layout for buildings and such.

Len

Trainman203

Man all of that is too much engineering for me since that's all i do  day long.

Penn1974

Thanks for every ones help. I will continue forward.

Joe Satnik

The Frogs' new message, as Joe has gotten hoarse saying it so often:

Com...Rail....Com....Dot......Rail...Dot......Any....Dot...Rail......Com....Any...Rail...

Dot....Any...Rail....Com...Dot...Rail.....Com...

Any....Rail....Dot....Com.....Any.Rail.Dot.Com.....

All that engineering is taken care of in this great easy to learn Rail CAD program.

Free download and fun to use.  All Bachmann track libraries included.

AnyRail.com

Free license for the first 50 track pieces.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.