Any Ideas regarding turnout and trailing truck

Started by Irbricksceo, February 14, 2015, 12:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

If you have a Michaels or AC Moore craft shop in your area, you should be able to find small files there. Either in the tools or jewelry making section.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

guslcp

I purchased my files from Harbor Freight (online) several years back...

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-piece-needle-file-set-468.html

Gus.

jbrock27

Good suggestions.

For shopping at Michael' s, don't forget to bring a coupon for 40% (sometimes there will even be ones for 50%).   If you don't get coupons in a flyer, you can go to their website and download a 40% off one.  Also, they will take competitors coupons, such as from Jo-Ann's Fabrics.  The coupons are used for REGULAR priced items and make for a good deal.
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: guslcp on February 14, 2015, 06:30:56 PM
Quote from: Irbricksceo on February 14, 2015, 10:54:19 AM
So I should file the inside of the point, thinning the rail?.
Not sure what you mean by "inside of the point".  You should file the face that does NOT come into contact with the outer rails.

Gus.

The "inside" of the points is always the gauge side.  Ditto for the "inside" of a rail.  The part of the rail where the wheel flanges go.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

Irbricksceo

well, HD had em but I found a better price on a similar set on Amazon so I'll just wait for them to get here in a few days. in the mean time, I need to resolve the issue with my 2-10-0's lead truck hopping (shouldn't be too hard, I think it just needs some adjustment) and figure out how to extract the screw from the back of the 2-8-0 that got stripped. Plenty to do! I'll update the if the files work I suppose.
Modeling NYC in N

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On