News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Athearn SW1000,1500, Proto SW1200

Started by Conrail Quality, October 27, 2007, 09:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conrail Quality

I'm contemplating doing a kitbash, and I wanted to know if anyone knew the answer to the following question: Can the fuel tank be removed for any of these models? I am considering to kitbasing an SW1200MG, which had no fuel tank, so I would need to remove it (among other modifications). Thanks in advance for any info.
If it will help, this is an SW1200MG
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

ebtbob

CQ, 

For the two Athearn models you mentioned,   the fuel tank is part of the frame,  all one molding.   The sides you see come off either as part of the body shell or as separate pieces,  as I recall,  and I am leaning towards them being part of the shell.   I am not sure about the Proto model but I would think that the fuel tank is part of the frame also.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

japasha

O those models the motor is installed to fit in that fuel tank. While this is some work, replacing the motor with one that could be turned on it's side or is a small enough diameter to fit under the hood would be the  ticket. One must remember to keep the drive shafts level.

It can be done. I'd buy a used Athearn to practice on. A Northwest Shortline replacement motor would work, don't forget the flywheels.

Conrail Quality

Thanks! Not the answer I was hoping for, but now I can think about how to get rid of that fuel tank. Thanks for the motor advice as well. Since I would intend to use this unit as a switcher, pulling power isn't crucial, so that will help in finding a motor.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale