News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Salty discontinued!

Started by Blackfive1994, February 14, 2015, 02:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackfive1994

58804 salty is not in the 2015 catalog. Must either be discontinued or no room to put him in the catalog?

thomasj219

His set is still in there so I wouldn't worry.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

Chaz

Wow, the first time an engine is being discontinued.  I'll admit I saw an engine being discontinued in the future as prices have been getting higher, and Salty has never been as popular of a seller.  Admittedly I was expecting Spencer to be the one who would get discontinued but he's clearly still selling, even at 149 for retail price. 

If fans want Salty that bad there are plenty of shops around that still have him, if not they can always look on ebay or other shops online.  Or as thomasj219 said, his set is still available so I don't think Salty getting discontinued is a big deal at all. 
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

DoggySporty

Spencer has always been a really good seller, along with Gordon.  I can't deny the allure of those big engines even when they are expensive.  That and I've noticed that Spencer is really popular with kids, even though I've never been that much of a fan of him...
I hope the Salty set doesn't get discontinued.  Salty, as a model engine, fares a lot better than Thomas.
I'm a little wary that other engines may be discontinued in the future, but hey, what can you do.  They've all had a good run by this point!  But I might re-buy a few of my favorites to be safe...

DoggySporty

It looks like the G scale coal wagon with load has been discontinued too.  I'm not surprised though, since there are so many open wagon variants in G scale anyway.  I'm guessing the cargo car sells really well because it's unpainted and easy to customize.

JLK2707

Yeah, but at least you can still just get him in the set of his! :)

Blackfive1994

Quote from: DoggySporty on February 14, 2015, 12:23:15 PM
Spencer has always been a really good seller, along with Gordon.  I can't deny the allure of those big engines even when they are expensive.  That and I've noticed that Spencer is really popular with kids, even though I've never been that much of a fan of him…
I hope the Salty set doesn't get discontinued.  Salty, as a model engine, fares a lot better than Thomas.
I'm a little wary that other engines may be discontinued in the future, but hey, what can you do.  They've all had a good run by this point!  But I might re-buy a few of my favorites to be safe...
wise words.

Blackfive1994

Who knows. They might bring him back next year when the celebration thomas go cause I believe the celebration thomas could be a limited edition. or if Bachmann makes Porter, that should be a good enough reason to bring Salty back.

Blackfive1994

Quote from: Fergusfan17 on February 15, 2015, 10:54:48 AM
Quote from: Blackfive1994 on February 15, 2015, 10:02:06 AM
or if Bachmann makes Porter, that should be a good enough reason to bring Salty back.
Please don't double (or triple in this case) post.
all sorted

DoggySporty

Quote from: Blackfive1994 on February 15, 2015, 09:47:17 AM
Who knows. They might bring him back next year when the celebration thomas go cause I believe the celebration thomas could be a limited edition. or if Bachmann makes Porter, that should be a good enough reason to bring Salty back.

I imagine you're right about the Celebration Thomas.
On another subject, the Salty Delivery set now has 3 exclusive items--Salty, the 6 ton wagon, and the salt wagon.  That makes it a great choice for anyone starting off a collection!

Chaz

Quote from: DoggySporty on February 15, 2015, 04:21:17 PM

On another subject, the Salty Delivery set now has 3 exclusive items--Salty, the 6 ton wagon, and the salt wagon.  That makes it a great choice for anyone starting off a collection!

It's true, it gives people more of a reason to buy the Salty set as almost everything in that set is exclusive, even the conductor figure.  So really, I don't think Salty getting discontinued is a big deal at all, as he is clearly still available in this set, and still sold separately in other shops online. 

I really don't see why people flip out every time Bachmann discontinues products in the Thomas and Friends range, it's a smart business move to stop selling products that don't sell well and in return give us new products to be excited over that actually will sell well.  So instead of Salty, we're getting Oliver and Skarloey.  I don't know about most people, but I'm in favor of this trade off, because these are new products that would sell better than Salty or even some of the other models in the range like Spencer or Arry and Bert.  It's important for Bachmann to move forward with their Thomas range, not move backwards when only a small number of fans are upset over discontinued products.  Even if they were to come back, they will be at a higher price than usual because of how expensive toolings are getting in the Thomas range.  And yes, this can also be said for Gordon's coaches and pretty much every discontinued product that people continue to obsess over even to this day.

Also, I'm just throwing this out there but there are plenty of other non-Thomas train sets that have exclusive products in the sets (and that includes the locomotives), as it not only increases the sales of the train set but it adds value to the Salty locomotive. 
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

DoggySporty

It seems everyone agrees that this isn't a big deal.  That's a relief.
Products getting discontinued is a part of marketing, it's true.  I'll be honest and admit that some things Bachmann has discounted, I've never missed.  I wonder if anyone remembers the well wagon or flat car with paint drums?  (Unless they got them while they were out)

Fergusfan17

Quote from: DoggySporty on February 15, 2015, 06:56:21 PM
It seems everyone agrees that this isn't a big deal.  That's a relief.
Products getting discontinued is a part of marketing, it's true.  I'll be honest and admit that some things Bachmann has discounted, I've never missed.  I wonder if anyone remembers the well wagon or flat car with paint drums?  (Unless they got them while they were out)

Actually I was pretty upset not to have picked them up before they were discontinued...oh well

Blackfive1994

Quote from: Chaz on February 15, 2015, 05:51:37 PM
Quote from: DoggySporty on February 15, 2015, 04:21:17 PM

On another subject, the Salty Delivery set now has 3 exclusive items--Salty, the 6 ton wagon, and the salt wagon.  That makes it a great choice for anyone starting off a collection!
It's true, it gives people more of a reason to buy the Salty set as almost everything in that set is exclusive, even the conductor figure.  So really, I don't think Salty getting discontinued is a big deal at all, as he is clearly still available in this set, and still sold separately in other shops online.  

I really don't see why people flip out every time Bachmann discontinues products in the Thomas and Friends range, it's a smart business move to stop selling products that don't sell well and in return give us new products to be excited over that actually will sell well.  So instead of Salty, we're getting Oliver and Skarloey.  I don't know about most people, but I'm in favor of this trade off, because these are new products that would sell better than Salty or even some of the other models in the range like Spencer or Arry and Bert.  It's important for Bachmann to move forward with their Thomas range, not move backwards when only a small number of fans are upset over discontinued products.  Even if they were to come back, they will be at a higher price than usual because of how expensive toolings are getting in the Thomas range.  And yes, this can also be said for Gordon's coaches and pretty much every discontinued product that people continue to obsess over even to this day.

Also, I'm just throwing this out there but there are plenty of other non-Thomas train sets that have exclusive products in the sets (and that includes the locomotives), as it not only increases the sales of the train set but it adds value to the Salty locomotive.  
Okay, I appreciate your views. We have our own views. I agree we can still get salty in his set when requirement is neccesary.

Blackfive1994

[/quote]of course, just like the reitred TWR products exclusive with DVDs in the US.