News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Connecting power to track

Started by trp, February 15, 2015, 01:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trp

I have the beginners "your first railroad track pack".  I have a model 501 throttlepack H.O. train control.

Can you please direct me to where I can get drawing to where and how I can connect the power to
the track!  I need help here ...

Thank you for the aid and assist.

Tom

Len

The two screws labeled "VARIABLE" on the MRC 501 are used for track power.

The track pack should have included a red power connection wire with a flat connector on one end, and either a mini-phone plug or two spade lugs on the other.

The flat black connector of the red wire plugs into the terminal/rerailer track section. Make sure it seats completely into the track section. If the other end has two spade lugs, they go to the "VARIABLE" screws on the MRC 501, one under each screw.

If the end of the red wire has a mini-phone plug, you basically have three options:

1. Cut the phone plug off, strip the ends of the wires, and put the wires direction under the "VARIABLE" screws.

2. Order a power wire with spade lugs from Backmann. It can be found here:
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_74&products_id=5987&zenid=uvf1mfmck397bp89vq4q7s8d15

3. Solder feeder wires directly to the track and don't use the red wire at all.

Almost forgot, the "16VAC" terminals are for accessories like switch controllers, etc. The "12VDC" terminals were originally for an add-on expansion throttle that's no longer available. It can also be used for accessories, in particular building lights using 12V lamps, and Tortoise 'Slow Motion' switch machines that operate using DC.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

trp

Len,

I will be working on this.  Do I only need a single power connection to the track?

It will be sitting on a 4X* sheet of plywood.

Thank you again

Len

If you'll only be using what's in the Track Pack, one power connection should be fine. If you start expanding, you'll probably need to add additional feeders. Kalmbach Publishing and Atlas both have good books on wiring small layouts. You can order them direct, Amazon, or through your local book store.

Len

trp

Len,

I have 4 remote turnouts that come wired with a blue/green wire with a modular plug attached.  There is also switch included
with each section of track.  There are 4 connection points on each switch.  Where does the modular plug from the track
section plug into the switch?

Thank you

Tom

Len

Yes. The green wire plugs into the long side of the control box. The connections on the short sides are for connecting power, and ganging control boxes together. If the green cable from the switch isn't long enough, Bachmann makes a 10' extension cable. Or you can cut it and splice in your own wire to extend it.

Len

trp

Evening Len,

Thank you once again for so much info.  I will be moving on with
my project.

Tom

trp

Ok, then do I connect the other green wire (2 connections) from the switch to the AC or DC connection on
the power pack?

Tom

Jerrys HO

Tom,
There should only be one connection for the green wires at the bottom of each switch, which other green wire are you referring to. The power leads (two wires) should be red and go to the side of the switch.

Jerry

jbrock27

An oldie, but a goodie.  The connections from the 501 pack should be from the 2 AC screws, to power what you are using for your control device for the switches (turnouts), which should also have 2 screws (contact points) to receive the power from the pack.  Then from that device to your switch (motor) that is on the switch(turnout), there should be 3 screws (wires contact points). 

You had said there are "4 connection points on each switch"-what brand turnouts are these?  And is the power pack you have a copper colored, metal Throttlepack by MRC?
Keep Calm and Carry On

trp

Sorry guys, my mistake.....there are 3 connections on the Bachmann switch.
The connections are 1 on each end, 2 inputs per connection, and 1 connector on the long
side with 3 inputs.  On this one I connected it to the track modular connection.
That leaves me with the two end connections to connect to something...power??

jbrock27

I had thought that was strange.

(see above)
Keep Calm and Carry On

trp

Jerry...

That is it !!!  Thank you so much...

jbrock27

Hallelujah

Your welcome
Keep Calm and Carry On