News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Suggestion for #5 "Yard" Turnout

Started by Len, February 15, 2015, 03:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

#5 turnouts are great for building yards, but...

The Backmann EZ-Track #5 turnouts are just too long. They're fine for hignspeed mainline crossovers, but they just take up too much space to be practical in a yard.

What's needed is something along the lines of what Atlas did with their Code 83 #6 switches. The "Super Track" version has a long diverging leg, for mainline use, while the "Custom Line" version has a much shorter diverging leg for yard use. Assuming you have space to use #6 switches in a yard.

Looking at the existing #5, what's needed in EZ-Track  is a version of the #5 that has a diverging route that ends around the 3rd long tie from the end. It wouldn't hurt to bring the straight route back to the 2nd long tie from the end either.

This would create a switch that lets people build practical yards with EZ-Track, instead of using other brands to build a yard on plywood and splice it into an EZ-Track layout.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

kdgrant6

Hey, I bought two EZ Track manual left turnouts from Bachmann's Tech department at a good price.  When they came, I was surprised that they were DCC, which is what I wanted in the first place.  I've programmed them and they work fine.  Based on the Bachmann catalogue.I believe they are the 44130 model (they came bubble wrapped, but not in a box, so I didn't have a number). This model has a sharper turn out than the 44139, which is listed as a # 4.

Thought I'd add that to the discussion.

rogertra

Quote from: Len on February 15, 2015, 03:16:39 PM
#5 turnouts are great for building yards, but...

The Backmann EZ-Track #5 turnouts are just too long. They're fine for hignspeed mainline crossovers, but they just take up too much space to be practical in a yard.

What's needed is something along the lines of what Atlas did with their Code 83 #6 switches. The "Super Track" version has a long diverging leg, for mainline use, while the "Custom Line" version has a much shorter diverging leg for yard use. Assuming you have space to use #6 switches in a yard.

Looking at the existing #5, what's needed in EZ-Track  is a version of the #5 that has a diverging route that ends around the 3rd long tie from the end. It wouldn't hurt to bring the straight route back to the 2nd long tie from the end either.

This would create a switch that lets people build practical yards with EZ-Track, instead of using other brands to build a yard on plywood and splice it into an EZ-Track layout.

Len

Len.

Just because a switch is "X" inches long does not preclude its use in a tight location.  I use Atlas "Super Track" No. 6 switches in my yards.  "Super Track" BTW is a better quality switch than their "Custom Line" as it has a metal frog and not because it was designed for use in yards, that's just an added bonus.  :)

Anyway, as I was saying, if a switch is too long to fit a location, cut it down to make it shorter.  Just because it comes out of the box a certain length, doesn't mean it has to stay that length if it's too long to fit or gives you yard tracks that are too far apart.

With flex track switches in general, you can also curve them a little to fit your requirements.  I've curved several of my switches to fit various locations and or to make the track work look better.   I don't use set track, never have so I do not know if you can cut and modify Bachmann track to make it fit better in yard locations.  Probably not as it's an entry level product.

When cutting flex track switches, the only thing to keep in mind is not to cut the web for two ties before and two ties after the frog and for two ties before and two ties after the hinge for the points. Keep that in mind and you can gently curve any flex track switch, within reason, to make your track flow better.

Remember, your track is a model as well and it also reflects the realism you are aiming for just as your locos, rolling stock, buildings etc., do.

Cheers

Roger T.

Len

Roger,

I'm just trying to suggest an addition to the EZ-Track line.

One I believe will sell with those who aren't comfortable doing surgery on their track. Or who want the convience of not having to use a razor saw on half a dozen switches to get a compact yard.

I've cut down a lot of EZ-Track for various reasons over the years. But it's not something people should have to do on a regular basis to get a yard with tracks that aren't 5" apart to fit a 4x8.

And a quick forum search will show variations on "how do I get my yard/siding tracks closer together" is a fairly common request.

Here's a quick comparison of the current EZ-Track #5, Shinohara #5, and Peco #5 (squares are 6"):

If Bachmann came out with something between the Peco and Shinohara size, smaller would be better, it would make a lot of people happy.

Len

rogertra

Len.

Yes, I see your point, so to speak.  :)

Not everyone on this list is up to modifying track etc..

Cheers

Roger T.

Irbricksceo

Though I've not chosen to undertake the task, there is no reason you could not modify ez track and shorten it. just make sure to measure correctly and be VERY careful, and It would probably work fine. Of course you risk destroying a 25+ dollar turnout if you mess up. If you intend to do so, I'd recommend practicing on a spare piece of track like a straight you have lying around.
Modeling NYC in N

Len

Quote from: Irbricksceo on February 15, 2015, 10:47:28 PM
Though I've not chosen to undertake the task, there is no reason you could not modify ez track and shorten it. just make sure to measure correctly and be VERY careful, and It would probably work fine. Of course you risk destroying a 25+ dollar turnout if you mess up. If you intend to do so, I'd recommend practicing on a spare piece of track like a straight you have lying around.

Did you actually read "Reply #3" in this thread??

Len