News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann minimum radius

Started by angiek, February 16, 2015, 04:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angiek

Please tell me the minimum radius required for my 0-6-0, 2-6-2, Shay and Climax locos. I will be hauling nothing larger than 40 foot cars. Also, do you think I can use Shinohara No. 4 turnouts in my yard?
Thank you.
Angiek

ACY

18" radius should be fine and #4 turnouts will work as long as they are not taken at high speeds.

angiek

Thank you for the quick response.

Pacific Northern

A point of clarification, the basic left or right turnouts are not your #4 turnouts, many people have assumed they are. The basic switch unless numbered is quite a tight turn and should be avoided if possible, they are very problematic.

Using proper numbered switches is the way to go. A lot less headaches...
Pacific Northern

DAVE2744

I have similar locos.  The 2-6-0 has plenty of "slop" at 18"r.  The Shay is at it's max at 18".  I had to trim the ends slightly of the "wood" catwalk between the rigid tender and the water tender to eliminate slight binding.  Also, the drive shafts when on the outside of the curve, are almost ready to fall out of the mating hollow shaft.  I do not have a Climax yet, but I do have a Hiesler with the same type of centerline drive.  It has plenty of play at 18"r.  Dave

kdgrant6

This comment may be helpful. 

I wondered how I could purchase a manual turnout similar to the one Bachmann offers in its DCC Commander set.  I called their sales department and was connected to their tech department.  I was told that they might have one lying around.  A representative called me back the next day, and I bought one for $18.35 (shipping included). 

When it came, it was the # 44130 DCC turnout.  I purchased  another one from them and a used right turnout (#44131) off Amazon.   
See P. 114 on this link: http://resources.bachmanntrains.com/bachmann2015/

Pacific Northern says to avoid them, especially at high speeds, but I haven't had any problems.  I use a left turnout as a yard entrance and the other two as spurs off that entrance.  I have them programmed, and they work fine.

Hope this helps.

ACY

Most locomotives won't operate on those turnouts since most locomotives require 22" minimum radius and those turnouts are the equivalent of only 18" radius. Only a few smaller locomotives can negotiate those turnouts without any issues.

jbrock27

Most locomotives won't operate on those turnouts since most locomotives require 22" minimum radius

Who wrote this rule??  I don't agree, plenty of locomotives operate fine on "snap switch" and #4 turnouts, I even have (we have been over this before, I know it) 6 axles diesels that have no problems on snap switch turnouts.  Now, if we are strictly talking about EZ track turnouts, problems with the non numbered ones are well documented here, for anyone that cares to look.   The turnouts/switches I am referring to, are made by Atlas and Life Like.
Keep Calm and Carry On

ACY

#4 turnouts are fine, I never said they weren't. The Bachmann 18" radius turnouts don't work well with 6 axle diesels/electrics and also don't work well with steam locomotives with larger wheel bases or 4 trailing or lead wheels for whatever reason. So this precludes most locomotives doesn't it? Most diesel locomotives percentage wise are infact 6 axle. Only the 0-4-0, 0-6-0, 2-6-0, 2-6-2 and some logging locomotives don't have a wheel base too large or don't have a 4 wheel truck.

As far as other brand turnouts are concerned I can't comment since I haven't checked.

jbrock27

ACY, you did not specify which turnouts you were talking about, you just said those turnouts and also said most locomotives require 22" minimum radius.  Bachmann non numbered turnouts don't work well w/a lot of locos, period, part of my other point.  And no, I don't agree that the locos you cite constitute "most locomotives".  And I don't agree with your statement about a minimum 22" radius.
Keep Calm and Carry On