News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lose of power crossing turnouts

Started by stonedart, February 18, 2015, 06:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stonedart

I have multiple Bachmann DCC engines and all EZ-Track turnouts.  Every time the engines go over the turn outs there is loss of power to the locomotive.  At higher speeds they go across, but at lower speeds they need to be pushed across the turnouts to regain power to continue.  All the turnouts are new and are compatible with DCC and do not require any special wiring.  I would appreciate any advice.

jward

more info will help us help you. what types of locomotives are giving you trouble? what type of switches? are they stopping on the frog end, or the point end?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

tpgates

I have the same problem...N Scale MDT Plymouth Diesel Locomotive stalls on turnout if you do not have a good head of steam (inertia) to carry it across the dead spot. All four of my turnouts cause it to coast across that spot. I have four power connections, one on each segment between the four turnouts.

GN.2-6-8-0

I'm assuming that the frogs on these turnouts are not powered,if so in there lies your problem.
Rocky Lives

tpgates

In taking one of these apart, it looks like they are power routing...

kewatin

i use kato  track ,but regardlwss i feed entry &exit with feeders on both sides unless i am using it to a dead stub.never had a problem with locos dying while transiting a switch.on a double crossover i power all entrances &exits with feedersand of course my system is dcc.
regards&later KEWATIN

brokemoto

You must re-connect certain wires to power the frog on the E-Z TRAK turnouts.   Look on the back of the package and follow the directions.  Further, make sure that the points are connecting properly with the stock rails.  At times, the track can become dirty, even on the edges of the point rails and stock rails.   A Q-tip (@) and some Life-Like track cleaner will help assure clean contact.  If that does not work, you can take a track eraser and erase the edges on the point rails and stock rails.  Be sure to brace the point rails with a finger lest you bend them out of gauge.

The MDT switcher will stall on turnouts with unpowered frogs.  It even stalls on some with powered frogs.  The best that I have been able to do with these things is hardwire a pair together.   You can pass of the wires as MU lines.