News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann's Newest Rendition of the GP30

Started by jbrock27, February 18, 2015, 11:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALCO0001

Is this the dcc frame or the old split frame?I think the old split DC frame is heavier ,I could be wrong.I have made a few different with there shells ,

high hoods B units for the UP.The old Lionel gp30 shells were made by Bachmann and evolved rivets from that shell and became a Spectrum for a

wile,then evolved to dcc and the frame changed.The old split frame gp35s frame does not interchange with the old split frame gp30.They share a

few parts ,but are different.Ibet that cost them before they realized,The shells were also painted under the Bev-Bel and sold separately.Wish

Bachmann would take that shell 1 more level and fix the cab glass since the per portion on those windows for a old B-mann is close enough to look
Make
great  if they flush the glass up like the new models.Make a high hood version!!!! Hint B-mann NW,Southern,NS,Maybe Indiana Railway had these also.Just SOME rambling,
Jack

jbrock27

The old split frame gp35s frame does not interchange with the old split frame gp30.They share a few parts ,but are different.

I am surprised to read this Jack bc I was under the impression, that except for the shells being of different locos, everying was the same, at least as far as a Spectrum GP30 and Plus GP35 split frames go ???
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Jim;
why not use aluminum?  Steel, for that matter?  On that kind of stuff, I take my hint from-in this case-anyone who manufactures electrical controls, etc.  As an extra, Aluminum is also an excellent conductor and can be used-again in this case-as a grounding electrode; as well as an excellent heat sink for your semi-conductors.  Better than copper.
On the Geep 30; probably one of the best-looking 'I mean business' units that EMD ever produced.  We have a couple that switch the Highland Line here in the Bristol, Ct area in 'Guilford' livery.
Rich
(SGT C)

jbrock27

Thank you for the suggestion Sarge but I am saving the piece of aluminum I have for other things.  I like the idea of the wood for several reasons: inexpense, easy to cut, I have plently to work with in case I make a mistake, it will take spray paint well, easy to drill through and easy to mount things in.  I do understand what you are saying about metal's grounding and heat sink capablitlies.

So far, I have to say, I am not seeing an overwhelming endorsement of the Topic Subject.
Keep Calm and Carry On

ALCO0001

Quote from: jbrock27 on February 20, 2015, 11:56:26 AM
The old split frame gp35s frame does not interchange with the old split frame gp30.They share a few parts ,but are different.

I am surprised to read this Jack bc I was under the impression, that except for the shells being of different locos, everying was the same, at least as far as a Spectrum GP30 and Plus GP35 split frames go ???
You know I am in error on this because what work I had to do to the gp 35 frame when I put a gp 30 on it that was made into a B- unit that had the

ratchet style hand brake that had some depth in the hood so I had to mill the frame a little to get it to fit my mistake there the same ,I now know

my train of thought was t words a sd45 plus split frame and the dash 8 split frame where there is 2 different depending on if the sd45 is a Spectrum witch is different then a Plus and a GE dash 8 where the spit frame is different depending on if it has a comfort cab or a standard .Then both of these models graduated to the standard 1 piece metal frame before they both went out of production.