News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann's Newest Rendition of the GP30

Started by jbrock27, February 18, 2015, 11:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Has anyone purchased the latest version of this loco and what are your opinions of it?
Thank you very much for your time and assistance.
Keep Calm and Carry On

ACY

I have the new GP35, is that the same internally as the new GP30? If so I can provide pictures and my opinion.

jbrock27

I do not know, but it would not surprise me if it was.  Do you like the GP35 ACY?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

the gp30 and gp35 use the same chassis. also, the gp40, gp50 and possibly gp38-2 use the same chassis, which is slightly longer than the gp30 chassis.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ACY

I bought 3 new GP35s with DCC for $40 each. They are somewhat on the light side and thus don't have great pulling power compared with heavier engines. They run alright, not too noisy that I noticed, but as they say, you get what you pay for, so don't expect too much. They are pretty basic, nothing spectacular,  but for the price I paid I am satisfied.  If you can get them for under $60 then definitely I would purchase them. Would you like to see photos of anything in particular?

jbrock27

Thank you for the feedback ACY.  I appreciate the offer on the photos but not necessary, thank you.

Thank you for the info Jeff.  And a thank you for the heads up on 1/8" hardboard @ Home Depot.  I picked up a piece last night that is plenty big for my control panel needs.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Jim;
are you using the hardboard for the face of the panel?
Rich
SGT C

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

jbsmith

Quote from: jbrock27 on February 18, 2015, 11:02:19 PM
Has anyone purchased the latest version of this loco and what are your opinions of it?
Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

I own one.
The 1st thing I noticed about it is the weight, this is Heavy for a model loco its size.
Seems to be a good puller.
Good runner too so far no complaints.
Details are good enough to please my eye.
Would I buy another ?   Yes.

ACY

Quote from: jbsmith on February 19, 2015, 07:15:33 PM
The 1st thing I noticed about it is the weight, this is Heavy for a model loco its size.
Seems to be a good puller.
Funny I noticed the exact opposite, infact my Bachmann GP35 weighs almost 12 whole ounces less than a competitor's GP30 that I have.

jbrock27

Thank you for the input jb.  How would you stack it in weight and pulling in comparison, say, to an Athearn (non F7A) diesel?  Have a scale?  Happen to weigh it?

ACY, any idea of the Bachmann GP35's weight?  Care to share the name of the competitors GP30?  Does it begin with a "P" and have #s in the name?

Thank you.
Keep Calm and Carry On

ACY

I'll get out my postage scale that is accurate to the nearest tenth of an ounce and weigh both and see if I can't post a photo if my phone cooperates.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

ACY

Athearn Santa Fe F7A Special Edition Blue Bonnet
1 Pound 7.4 Ounces

Life-Like Proto 2000 Undecorated GP30 (that I custom [painted and decaled for Ohio Central)
1 Pound 7.0 Ounces (with original plastic couplers, with Kadee couplers it adds some weight of course)

Bachmann Erie Lackawanna GP35
14.0 ounces (after adding Kadee #148 Couplers and some lead weight, was about 12.5 ounces unmodified)

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On