Time for a "DCC" Discusion Board

Started by Len, February 19, 2015, 08:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

I haven't said anything about it for a couple of years now, but I think it's past time for a new Discussion Board. Specifically:

DCC - A board to discuss EZ-Command, Dynamis, and decoder programming tips, tricks, and problems.

A couple of quick searches pulls up almost 60 pages of questions that repeat over and over related to EZ-Command, Dynamis, and decoder programing issues, that have nothing to do with how to install a decoder in a specific locomotive. They are scattered all over the existing boards, which is part of why they keep getting repeated. Someone doing 'N' scale isn't generally inclined to look in the 'On30' forum for the anwer to a Dynamis specific question. So a question that's already been answered gets asked again.

I believe creating a DCC discussion board, and getting the common questions and answers in there, will cut down a lot of the duplicate clutter on this subject.

Discussions on how to install decoders in specific locomotives, since they are generally scale specific, can stay in the specific scale's forum.

My 2¢ worth. Deposit 2¢ in the can nailed to the side before mounting the soapbox.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Bucksco

It's a good idea. We will see what we can do.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Hunt

Perhaps the to be added Discussion Board label should be Command Control

Keep in mind there will soon be a Bachmann E-Z App Wireless Train Control system

Len

Quote from: Hunt on February 19, 2015, 01:02:47 PM
Perhaps the to be added Discussion Board label should be Command Control

Keep in mind there will soon be a Bachmann E-Z App Wireless Train Control system

Works for me. After all, the "CC" in DCC stands for Command Control.

Len

rogertra

I think setting up a DCC only board would be great but let's call it "Bachmann DCC" so as to avoid question regarding other brands of DCC.

Cheers

Roger T.

Len

I understand your reasoning Roger, but disagree.

Many of the DCC discussions involve getting another brand of decoder, in particular sound decoders, to work with an EZ-Command or Dynamis system. Or vice versa, trying to program a Bachmann decoder with someone elses control system. Or getting someone else's decoder, with someone elses controller, to work in a Bachmann "DCC Ready" locomotive.

My concern is that labeling the forum "Bachmann DCC" will make people think if there's something non-Bachmann involved in their question, they can't post it there. Which will just keep those discussions scattered in the other forums, and defeat the whole point of why I suggested a DCC forum to begin with.

Len

rogertra

My concern about not limiting the discussion of a DCC board to only Bachmann brand DCC systems is then we will get into discussions regarding NCE, Digitrax brands for example and advanced programming aids such as JMRI which, I understand, does not work with the Bachmann system.

We also know, quite correctly, Bachmann are reluctant to have other brands discussed on a board they sponsor.

Add to that, the Bachmann system is a basic introductory DCC system while the other brands are more advanced and can be somewhat more complicated.  Therefore, I think limiting the discussion to only Bachmann products  would be very beneficial, especially to new comers.  As for the other brands, there are numerous Yahoo Groups and websites set up for discussing those brands.

Of course, the final decision as to whether setting up a DCC board and its content all comes down to Bachmann's choice.

Cheers

Roger T. 

Len

Roger,

What you're talking about is limiting the discussion to the EZ-Comman and Dynamis systems themselves. That's not what I suggested.

What I'm looking at is the number of messages scattered throughout the forums over the years, that get repeated over and over, regarding things like:

How do I add DCC to my straight DC Bachmann xyz loco?

How do I add Sound to my DC/DCC Ready/DCC Bachmann locomotive?

Why doesn't my 'DCC Ready' Bachman locomotive work with my xyz DCC system straight out of the box?

How can I install a Bachmann 8-pin decoder in my xyz brand locomotive that has a 9-pin socket?

Will my xyx brand locomotive work with the EZ-Command/Dynamis system?

Why am I having problems progamming my xyz brand loco with the EZ-Command/Dynamis system?

Can I use my xyz brand DCC system to control/program Bachmann locos with Tsunami/Sound Value decoders?

I believe getting those kind of questions in one place will cut down the clutter. But not if discussion is strictly limited to the EZ-Command and Dynamis systems.

Len

rogertra

Len.

If you notice, everyone one of your points mentions Bachmann and Bachmann products.  That's the point I was making.  :)

It's not fair on a Bachmann sponsored forum to discuss other brands of DCC except in the context of making them function with a Bachmann product, which usually isn't an issue.

I have, for example, four Bachmann Sound Ready locos that I use with my NCE system and programed using JMRI, something you cannot do with the Bachmann DCC system.  Too bad as with JMRI there's no need to ever know what each or any of the CVs function is.  :)

Anyway, let's at least agree that we both think a DCC forum, however it is administered by Bachmann is a good idea.

Cheers

Roger T.

Len

Roger,

I'm not against limiting discussions to those involving Bachmann products, whether it's locos, decoders, or control systems. Even though those discussions may also involve other brands of locos, decoders, or control systems as they relate to the Bachmann products.

My response was regarding your statement:
QuoteMy concern about not limiting the discussion of a DCC board to only Bachmann brand DCC systems...

See the difference?

Len

rogertra

Gotcha Len.  :)

Still think it's a good idea, too bad other members are not contributing to this conversation.

Cheers

Roger T.

RAM

I have a lot of Bachmann locomotives, but I will never have a Bachmann DCC system.  Well never say never, but I doubt that they will ever come out with a large system.  I do have questions from time to time about DCC.

Len

Quote from: rogertra on February 20, 2015, 07:30:37 PM
Gotcha Len.  :)

Still think it's a good idea, too bad other members are not contributing to this conversation.

Cheers

Roger T.

Well, Yardmaster said:
QuoteIt's a good idea. We will see what we can do.

Guess we'll just have to see what happens.

Len

jward

ok, i'll chime in.

I do think the dcc board is a good idea. I would also like to see more of the questions that pop up regularly, under the faq section. I would like to see some acknowledgement from Bachmann of exactly which of the basic cvs are supported in the decoders. too many of us are trying to program cvs in decoders that do not support them, not knowing they aren't supported.

this is in no way meant to disparage Bachmann products. they have become the backbone of my locomotive fleet for a reason. but I think that more information, readily available, can only help Bachmann.

I also have high hopes for ez app, and hope that Bachmann will do a better job with support and documentation than they have done with dcc, remember, in this high tech era, sales are only part of the equation. support and the knowledge base on the product is the other half. they cannot exist without each other.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA