B&O EM-1 vs Atlas code 80 snap track remote turnout switch machine

Started by conn 88h, February 20, 2015, 02:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conn 88h

I'm getting really tempted by this loco but I just read on another forum about an EM-1 stalling at an atlas turnout because it snags on the switch machine.  I had the same problem with a Bachmann C&O H-4 2-6-6-2.  Drive wheels were turning but couldn't get past the switch without me giving the pilot a nudge to the side away from the switch machine.  This occurred when approaching on straight track from the converging end heading toward the diverging end on the straight thru route. No problem when taking the diverging route. Only happened on two of about 30 switches on the layout.  The steam cylinder on the engineer side hit the switch machine. (The H-4 went back after the decoder died and was replaced with a different type of loco.) I have an Athearn Challenger, 2 Bachmann Heavy mtns, and a dozen older pacifics, mikes, berks,and hudsons all with no issues with switch machines. 

I'd like to know if anybody else has had this problem with an EM-1 and Atlas switch machines and if so, do you have a solution?  I'd hate to make the investment in one of these babies only to learn that it is incompatible with my track.

Thanks for any advice offered.

RGW

I had a similar problem with my Bachmann 2-6-6-2. It kept snagging something on one atlas switch I had. I finally tracked it down.
The details are very good on new Bachmann steam,and it was the sanding lines that were hitting,I just trimmed them a bit and problem solved ,they were very close the the rail head like the real thing. Also check brake shoes,I had a bad rail joint and my mallet snagged the brake shoe,again a couple of file swipes and problem fixed.

skipgear

Suggestion is to get away from the Atlas snap switches. I have had more than just steam hang on them. Caboose ground throws or under table solutions look and work much better.

Snap switches are a little tight for large articulated loco's anyhow.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

kmcsjr

I like the Bmann steam detail and performance, enough that I would look at anything the locos aught on, rather than the loco itself. Especially, if it is only catching on 2 of 30 turnouts. Can the switch covers be sanded down a bit?