Multiple locomotives on multiple DCC Tracks

Started by Grizzly9, February 20, 2015, 06:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzly9

When a trying to run 2 locomotives on separate tracks, I am unable to get power to the 2nd locomotive. I can run 1 at a time on 1 track at a time but how do run both simultaneously? I followed the instructions to set up a recall but can't get the PowerCab to recognize the 2nd loco

rogertra

Quote from: Grizzly9 on February 20, 2015, 06:14:00 PM
When a trying to run 2 locomotives on separate tracks, I am unable to get power to the 2nd locomotive. I can run 1 at a time on 1 track at a time but how do run both simultaneously? I followed the instructions to set up a recall but can't get the PowerCab to recognize the 2nd loco

I do not use the Bachmann system but have you given both locos a unique address?

With my NCE system I assign each loco its road number as an address but I gather Bachmann doesn't allow this but they should still have a unique address.

Cheers

Roger T.

Len

Do you have seperate power leads from your control base to each track? Do the locos have seperate addresses, or are they both still set the the default '3'?

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Grizzly9

I have separate power leads going to each track and I have assigned separate identity numbers to each loco. - Last night when I tried, my BLI ran on the inside track but my Bachmann wouldn't run on my outside track.

Grizzly9

but if I remove the BLI from the inside track, the Bachmann decides it will run on the outside track

Hunt

An aside.

Quote from: rogertra on February 20, 2015, 06:29:38 PM
Quote from: Grizzly9 on February 20, 2015, 06:14:00 PM

I do not use the Bachmann system but have you given both locos a unique address?

Roger FYI - Power Cab (sometimes seen written PowerCab) is a NCE DCC system.

rogertra

Quote from: Hunt on February 20, 2015, 07:15:32 PM

Roger FYI - Power Cab (sometimes seen written PowerCab) is a NCE DCC system.

D'oh!  Of course, I should know that as that's what I use.  :(

In that case he should assign each loco the loco's road number as an address.  In addition, as he is using an NCE system, he should download and install JMRI as it makes programming so much easier.  You don't have to bother know what CVs do what as the program already knows them all and what they all do.

Cheers

Roger T.

Hunt

An other aside, (likely beyond the intended scope of this Bachmann Board)

To use JMRI Decoder Pro with the basic NCE Power Cab DCC system requires the addition of a NCE USB Interface board.

rogertra

Quote from: Hunt on February 20, 2015, 08:18:31 PM
An other aside, (likely beyond the intended scope of this Bachmann Board)

To use JMRI Decoder Pro with the basic NCE Power Cab DCC system requires the addition of a NCE USB Interface board.

I just picked up a USB interface from a local electronics/computer store.

This discussion is yet another example of why there should be a separate, all scales,  DCC board.

Cheers

Roger T.

Len

A couple of more questions:

Have you verified the power lead to the inside rail of one loop goes to the same Power Cab connection as the inside rail of the other loop? If the inside rail of one loop goes to the connection for the outside rail of the other, one loop at a time will work, but not both as the locos on the track will create a short.

You don't mention a short indication though, so:

Does the Bachmann have sound, or is it just a basic motor control and lights decoder?

Does the BLI loco have sound, sound and smoke, or just a basic motor control and lights decoder?

If both locos have sound, and especially if the BLI also has smoke, you may be pushing the upper limits of the Power Cab's 2amp power supply and need to add a 5 amp booster. Yeah, I know, almost all control systems say, "Will operate X trains at the same time.", but that's for straight motor control with lights decoders. Not necessarily for power hog sound decoders.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.