Any HO use found for vinyl mini blind louvers?

Started by jbrock27, February 22, 2015, 11:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

I have to replace a window's vinyl mini blind and before I send it off to the landfill to sit there long past I am gone from this Earth, I wanted to know if anyone ever found a use for these.

Thank you.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Do you have recycling in your area? That would be a better option than the landfill.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Not that this is the topic of discussion I was looking to get into buuuuuttttt, they are not accepted in my recycling bin and if they have no other uses, I am not storing them until warm weather for the possibility of hitting a town "recycling day" during which they might be accepted.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe323

Given enough time you could probably think of some sort of use for it.

Len

If your modeling modern, the only thing I can think of would be gas station pump canopies. Or maybe to create the "hump" for an abandoned track right of way. Tunnel liner? Hot Wheel track?

Or donate them to a Habitat Restore if you have one in the area.

Len

jbrock27

Thanks for the vote of confidence Joe, but I am not into warehousing stuff until that day (might) arrives.  Ever see one of those "hoarder shows"?  Don't want to go there.  You won't find me saving catalogs from say, 1988.

Len, thank you for those ideas.  I have Hot Wheels track btw.  Got it back just recently from my father who borrowed it , for his physics classes, shortly after I got them as a gift. 
I would gladly donate the blinds, but they are not in the condition that they can be donated.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe323

All I was. Saying was that anyone given enough time could think of a use.  I am not a header either.

jbrock27

I understand what you were saying Joe.  By posting my question here, my hope was that someone else's experience or better imagination than mine, had led them to using these for something; I guess not so far.

...a header...

How'd you know I played soccer in High School? ;)

Keep Calm and Carry On

Jhanecker2

Good Morning All :   Have you considered  using them as wear strips for the bottom of drawers ?   Glue to the bottom of drawers that are not suspended  by roller slides the material is fairly tough and slick . John2.

jbrock27

Thank you for the suggestion JH2, but no, I don't need them for that.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Curl the ends and make skis for the garden gnomes? ;D

Len

jbrock27

Not bad Len, not bad...

Now TM, may be onto something ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Shim:
The ones I have are about .020".  If you do use them for shims, keep in mind that these are in the PVC family, and as such, will not readily fuse to anything styrene; unless of course, a "general glue" like epoxy is used.

The one thing that milled/rolled stock has over blinds ,s that the material is consistent +/-X"; blinds do not have to be quite a accurate.  When they get too obnoxious, I just toss them into the garbage and by new ones.  To me, not good for much else.
SGT. C

railtwister

How about; Sidewalks, Laminated Sub-roadbed, Perimiter Forms when casting plaster, Dividers for parts drawers, Gondola and Flatcar loads, Base Support Structure for Hard Shell Scenery (instead of cardboard strips, at least the bugs won't eat it)?

Bill in FtL