News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Sound for DCC

Started by plint, February 22, 2015, 01:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plint

I bought 2 Bachmann dcc diesels and was wondering the cost and ease in changing the dcc to dcc with sound would be?
Thanks.....you guys are good!
By the grace of God go I in Amherst NH.

ACY

If you wanted DCC with sound, you should have bought locomotives with sound in the first place because generally Bachmann diesel locomotives with DCC do not have sufficient room to install sound without milling the frame or otherwise making room. These installations do not lend themselves to beginners or those who are inexperienced.
However a few of Bachmann's newer locomotives have provisions for adding sound. If you could inform us specifically which you wanted to add sound to, we can be of more help than just speaking generally.

dasBM2-6-0

Curious to know if/when Bachmann will produce the GE 44 ton switcher WITH DCC SOUND....???!!
The current offering has DCC for lighting/direction...but, AFAIK, no one offers this loco WITH SOUND INSTALLED....
A couple of companies provide installation of sound cards/decoders.......but the finalized cost of parts and labor is STEEP!
The few brave souls who've succeeded in a DIY indicate it's NOT for the faint-of-heart....or those (like me...) with arthritis and poor eyesight....
My Bachmann 44 tonner runs like a champ.....but I REALLY miss not having the ability to use a bell and horn on my layout...
TIA for any info!

May your freight ALWAYS roll smoothly...and ON TIME!!

plint

"" If you could inform us specifically which you wanted to add sound to, we can be of more help than just speaking generally. ""
[/quote]

I recently bought a Bachmann  CN  RS 3  and a Bachmann  NYC GP 7 both DCC.  I  just got them last fall.  I was just wondering if it was a matter of swapping chips.   The catalog doesn't show a lot of options for sound, only a few.  Does Bachmann put in sound on a special order if not seen in the catalog?

bapguy

Here's the decoder and speaker Soundtraxx suggests for the RS3:ALCO RS-3 DCC Equipped TSU-AT1000 ALCO 244 828043 810089
Here's instructions for adding a sound decoder to the GP7. The same should apply to the RS3 as I believe it has the opening in the fuel tank for a speaker.   Joe
http://www.soundtraxx.com/documents/appnotes/bachmann_gp7.pdf

ACY

Bachmann does not provide any services or upgrades regarding adding sound to your locomotive. You must buy a locomotive with sound as under no circumstances will Bachmann install sound for you.

Besides switching the decoders, you also need to install a speaker and baffle,  the GP-7  should have an area for the speaker in the fuel tank if I am not mistaken. The RS-3 without sound may also have similar provisions for sound. Be sure not to install the decoder with the reverse orientation.

Len

The DCC equiped RS-3 fuel tank has the 'ring' for a speaker. You have to drill out the sound holes yourself though.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

plint

Thank you all.   Just a bit too much for me.  If only Bachmann had this option for all its locos, not just a few.

bapguy

Can you solder? Adding a decoder to these locos isn't that difficult. The hardest part about adding sound is finding room for the speaker. Bachmann made this easy by providing the space in the fuel tank area. I've done 12 decoder installs myself. If you post the city you live in, maybe someone close by will install the decoders for you for a small fee or for free.  Joe