Locomotive running in reverse in forward position

Started by HopefulPastor, February 24, 2015, 12:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HopefulPastor

I bought a used Bachman Spectrum GP30 Locomotive.
It runs in the reverse direction when my controller (DC) is in the forward position.

What's wrong?
How do I fix it?

Thanks,
HopefulPastor

bapguy

Len

Quote from: HopefulPastor on February 24, 2015, 12:38:04 PM
I bought a used Bachman Spectrum GP30 Locomotive.
It runs in the reverse direction when my controller (DC) is in the forward position.

What's wrong?
How do I fix it?

Thanks,
HopefulPastor

Since you say you're using a DC controller, just reverse the track power wires. Either at the track, or at the controller.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

HopefulPastor

It's a DC. All of my other Locomotives are moving in the proper direction (Forward for forward and reverse for reverse)

kewatin

i agree with len,but the fact remains you did'nt say if it was a dual mode loco.by that i mean does it have dcc on board,if so and you bought it used someone could have programed it to run in reverse if they were using it in consist.also it could have been done in error as i have done it myself by not watching the inputs when initally programming loco address.as you operate in dc i would try len's suggestion first and see if that resolves your problem ,if not look at the dcc  resolve by taking it to a hobby shop or friend whom uses a dcc system to check it out for you.
regards&later kewatin

HopefulPastor

I found the problem.
I reversed the contacts on the motor.

It is dc only.

Thank you guys for your help.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

NMRA standards are "Right Hand Rule" for (Old School) DC locomotives.

If Mini-You are standing in front of the locomotive with your back to it's nose,

and you put plus (+) voltage on the rail under your mini-right hand, the locomotive should run Mini-You over. 

NMRA says it more eloquently:  "Locomotives move so that the positive rail is on the right."

If it moves the opposite, swap the two wires connected to the motor (brushes), just as HP has done.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.