HO From Start to Finish - where to find parts

Started by Fxguy1, February 22, 2015, 07:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Yardmaster wrote: - "Maybe a google search might be a better way to search for other manufacturer's products?"

I have to agree 100% with this comment.  How many times do people post questions on this board when a simple Google search would given them the answers they are looking for?

Sadly, I think it comes down to people wanting others to do the leg work for them.

Google first, then if you can't find the answer, tell us Google was no help and then all our "experts" will be more than happy to jump in with advice.

Cheers

Roger T.

Fxguy1

Quote from: Fxguy1 on February 24, 2015, 09:28:12 PM
Seems everywhere I look they are out of stock, and was hoping someone might know where I could find one.

Thanks!

Tim

1) From the quote above I have performed a google search, hence the "it seems to be out of stock everywhere" comment.

2) As Len points out, I specifically say I cannot find these products at the start of the thread and this is a perfect opportunity to suggest a BACHMANN alternative.

3) There was no intent to make this a "virtual flea market" - more a means to try and reach out to find an item that might be in stock at a local hobby shop that I would otherwise not have known.

4) Also as Len points out, I posted this under the "General Discussion" forum thinking that its a

General Discussion
Feel free to talk about anything train related in this board. [\quote]

Maybe it should be changed to "General Discussion" Feel free to talk about anything BACHMANN train related in this board.

Len

Fxguy,

One of the problems with books like "HO Railroad That Grows", and many other books aimed at beginners in the hobby, is they were originally written some time ago. In too many cases these means specific items mentioned, e.g., buildings, scenary material, etc., are no longer available. Either because the manufacturer went out of business, or decided to "retire" a particular item. So, as modelers we have to be a bit flexible, and often find what the military supply system refers to as "suitable substitute" to use instead.  Aside from using Google! to search for a specific item, Walthers is a great place to search for a particular scales "suitable substitues", as well as specific items. A quick primer:

If you go here: http://www.walthers.com/exec/page/search

Use the pull down to put 'Structures' in the "Category" field
Use the next pull down to put 'HO' in the "Scale" field
Enter 160 in the "Manufacturer" field.
Click on the "Show only in stock items" button.
Change the default "Return 30 results per page" to 300 (Unless you like clicking through pages of stuff)
Click on the "Search" button.

You should get a list of over 60 Bachmann buildings that may be reasonable substitutes for those called for in the book. Or, if you leave the "Manufacturer" field blank, you'll get a list of almost 2,400 structures that are in stock to pick from.

Personally, I like "kit bashing" Bachmann Plasticville buildings with DPM and Small Town USA walls and windows to make something unique.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Ken G Price

Quote from: Yardmaster on February 25, 2015, 08:44:27 AM
The purpose of the forum is to discuss model railroading. This thread appears to be a request by the original poster to locate products (most of which are not Bachmann products). Please feel free to talk about "anything train related" but product requests and searches really don't fit that description. The intent is not to discourage a "newbie" the intent is to avoid having the forum become a virtual flea market.

I have to agree with Yardmaster on this one. There are other forums where discussing many HO brands and item to use is OK.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/