Bachmann James ho scale update 2015

Started by JLK2707, February 22, 2015, 11:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edward2Fan47

I hope this 2017 model update would include front couplings and I also hope they would include a sound-chipped James a year after the release date.

Jacob Wilson

Why does Bachmann James need updating? What's wrong with it as it is now?

JLK2707

Because they obviously just want to have James look more like his large scale counterpart.

Jacob Wilson

^ Above 1 Reply - @Reply #32 By JLK2707: Does that mean Bachmann James is too tall and large? I am only asking this as I do not own Bachmann James.

Chaz

James has a number of paint errors including part of the smokebox, the wheels, and axleboxes which all should be black.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Chaz on November 02, 2015, 02:38:09 AM
James has a number of paint errors including part of the smokebox, the wheels, and axleboxes which all should be black.

What do you mean by paint errors? Is the red too dark of something?

Chaz

No, part of the smokebox is red when it should be black while the wheels and axleboxes are gray when they should also be black.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Chaz on November 02, 2015, 02:56:12 AM
No, part of the smokebox is red when it should be black while the wheels and axleboxes are gray when they should also be black.
Oh, dear. Did Bachmann design James to be like that, or is it a recent factory production error?

Chaz

That's how the model was designed back in 2002 and it remained that way since.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Chaz on November 02, 2015, 03:04:46 AM

I can't understand why Bachmann want to re-design their James for now, then. If people have been able to put up with it like that since 2002, why are Bachmann spending more money changing the way James looks over 13 years later?

Chaz

Quote from: Jacob Wilson on November 02, 2015, 03:10:23 AM

I can't understand why Bachmann want to re-design their James for now, then. If people have been able to put up with it like that since 2002, why are Bachmann spending more money changing the way James looks over 13 years later?

Believe me, not a whole lot of people "put up with it", it's been an ongoing complaint about the James model for several years.  The revisions on James have been in demand for a long time and have been long overdue for most fans.  Bachmann wouldn't be spending more money on improving James' paint scheme, revisions have happened before with rolling stock and the prices haven't gone up.  If they did a completely new tooling for James, then they would be spending extra money on the model, which at this point isn't going to happen anytime soon. 

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Chaz on November 02, 2015, 11:10:38 AM
Quote from: Jacob Wilson on November 02, 2015, 03:10:23 AM

Believe me, not a whole lot of people "put up with it", it's been an ongoing complaint about the James model for several years.  The revisions on James have been in demand for a long time and have been long overdue for most fans.  Bachmann wouldn't be spending more money on improving James' paint scheme, revisions have happened before with rolling stock and the prices haven't gone up.  If they did a completely new tooling for James, then they would be spending extra money on the model, which at this point isn't going to happen anytime soon. 

I can see that there is something wrong with Bachmann James, but too me it is only a small issue, and the Thomas & Friends range is aimed at young children, so I doubt this would be a problem to them at all. To be honest with you, I don't own Bachmann James, but until you told me about this design issues, I have never noticed them.

Cheeky_ULP

In my opinion, the motor is underpowered too, especially when you compare it to the motors in Bachmanns newest models like Duck and Diesel.

I still have fingers crossed that someday Bachmann may be able to squeeze from their budget full blown rebuilds to Thomas, Percy and James to be on-standard with their newest generation of Thomas engines. With the majority of the core classic characters now in OO scale, I wouldn't mind them taking a break, but time will tell. Chances are they already know what their 2016 plans are.

Metal

I would say that while Bachmann is targeting their range towards a younger audience, they've broadened it's aimed appeal without needing to go outside of their target demographic.

The kids are enjoying the returning classic characters. Heck, my nephew asked if I've had a Bachmann Duck. (Which I don't).
While there's a handful CGI characters that are widely appealing to the older fans. (e.g Paxton, Hiro.)

For Classic Characters they just need Daisy and Boco to fill the HO/OO marketing gap.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Sparks on November 02, 2015, 11:57:55 AM
In my opinion, the motor is underpowered too, especially when you compare it to the motors in Bachmanns newest models like Duck and Diesel.

I still have fingers crossed that someday Bachmann may be able to squeeze from their budget full blown rebuilds to Thomas, Percy and James to be on-standard with their newest generation of Thomas engines. With the majority of the core classic characters now in OO scale, I wouldn't mind them taking a break, but time will tell. Chances are they already know what their 2016 plans are.

Well, Bachmann James was released in 2002, along with Thomas and Percy, so Bachmann at the time was adventuring into a new range, and aiming the products at young children and trying to bring them into the World of Model Railways, so we can't expect Thomas, Percy and James to be perfect and spot on with the detail of them and and how they look.