Bachmann James ho scale update 2015

Started by JLK2707, February 22, 2015, 11:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaz

Quote from: Jacob Wilson on November 02, 2015, 11:42:13 AM

the Thomas & Friends range is aimed at young children, so I doubt this would be a problem to them at all

Quote from: Nykrivas on November 02, 2015, 12:13:21 PM
I would say that while Bachmann is targeting their range towards a younger audience, they've broadened it's aimed appeal without needing to go outside of their target demographic.

The Thomas range isn't strictly aimed at children.  If it were, we wouldn't keep getting classic characters, resin buildings, or an HOe narrow gauge line with products listed as "14+" on the packaging.  Thomas obviously has an appeal for children, but when it comes to some of Bachmann's recent products, I'd say the older fanbase has made an impact on what Bachmann have announced or made.  
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Chaz on March 12, 2015, 07:39:56 PM
It's a shame that James' updated paint scheme won't actually happen for a few years, but it is at least assuring to know that it will happen eventually.  Glad to hear some actual confirmation on this, looking forward to hearing more news when that time comes.

Better late than never. :)

How do you know that Bachmann James is not going to have an updated paint scheme?

Cheeky_ULP

I think first and foremost, Bachmann is aiming at the people who have wallets, which are parents and older fans. Most kids like the selection of characters already available, and characters like Bill, Ben, Donald, Douglas, Duck, and Oliver are in the CGI series now, so everything balances out pretty well in terms of the target audiences for the Bachmann range.

Quote from: Jacob Wilson on November 02, 2015, 12:22:00 PM
It's a shame that James' updated paint scheme won't actually happen for a few years, but it is at least assuring to know that it will happen eventually.  Glad to hear some actual confirmation on this, looking forward to hearing more news when that time comes.

How do you know that Bachmann James is not going to have an updated paint scheme?
Bachmann already confirmed there was a communication goof with China when they sent new paint artwork for them to use for James.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Chaz on November 02, 2015, 11:10:38 AM
Quote from: Jacob Wilson on November 02, 2015, 03:10:23 AM
Quote from: Chaz on November 02, 2015, 03:04:46 AM
That's how the model was designed back in 2002 and it remained that way since.

I can't understand why Bachmann want to re-design their James for now, then. If people have been able to put up with it like that since 2002, why are Bachmann spending more money changing the way James looks over 13 years later?

Believe me, not a whole lot of people "put up with it", it's been an ongoing complaint about the James model for several years.  The revisions on James have been in demand for a long time and have been long overdue for most fans.  Bachmann wouldn't be spending more money on improving James' paint scheme, revisions have happened before with rolling stock and the prices haven't gone up.  If they did a completely new tooling for James, then they would be spending extra money on the model, which at this point isn't going to happen anytime soon. 

I can see that it is an on going problem, I just mean that it just seems odd Bachmann have taken so long to re-design James if they had so many complaints.

Jacob Wilson

I would say that while Bachmann is targeting their range towards a younger audience, they've broadened it's aimed appeal without needing to go outside of their target demographic.

The kids are enjoying the returning classic characters. Heck, my nephew asked if I've had a Bachmann Duck. (Which I don't).
While there's a handful CGI characters that are widely appealing to the older fans. (e.g Paxton, Hiro.)

For Classic Characters they just need Daisy and Boco to fill the HO/OO marketing gap.

When I said the Thomas & Friends range is aimed at a young audience, I meant that in the way that Thomas & Friends generally is made for children and Hornby and Bachmann produce Thomas & Friends ranges to bring younger people into Model Railways. This how I look at it as why they both have Thomas & Friends licenses but there are also adult Collectors out there too. I am 19-years-old now, I will admit I am one of those people. I have intention of ending my Thomas & Friends Collection in OO and HO Gauge.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Chaz on November 02, 2015, 12:20:09 PM
Quote from: Jacob Wilson on November 02, 2015, 11:42:13 AM

the Thomas & Friends range is aimed at young children, so I doubt this would be a problem to them at all

The Thomas range isn't strictly aimed at children.  If it were, we wouldn't keep getting classic characters, resin buildings, or an HOe narrow gauge line with products listed as "14+" on the packaging.  Thomas obviously has an appeal for children, but when it comes to some of Bachmann's recent products, I'd say the older fanbase has made an impact on what Bachmann have announced or made.  

I do know this, but as I pointed out, some of the Models are child-friendly which will help them to grow up into a Model Railway atmosphere. I do admit, if it was not for the Hornby Thomas & Friends range, I am not sure if I would be interested in Model Railway's, but as I have grown up, I have ended up collecting it too!

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Sparks on November 02, 2015, 12:24:11 PM
I think first and foremost, Bachmann is aiming at the people who have wallets, which are parents and older fans. Most kids like the selection of characters already available, and characters like Bill, Ben, Donald, Douglas, Duck, and Oliver are in the CGI series now, so everything balances out pretty well in terms of the target audiences for the Bachmann range.

Quote from: Jacob Wilson on November 02, 2015, 12:22:00 PM

Bachmann already confirmed there was a communication goof with China when they sent new paint artwork for them to use for James.

Clearly they are, as there are people who collect Thomas & Friends products in Model Railways.