News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

civil war engines

Started by Royce Wilson, October 29, 2007, 01:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Royce Wilson

Bachmann, what would be wrong with making a O scale accurate model of the General,Texas and the Yonah or any other civil war engine. after all O scale track is 5 foot gauge and would be accurate.

Royce Wilson ;D

Dusten Barefoot

Yes!! Lets see the Texas and General, and a few yankee engines.
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

japasha

Royce, that's an excellent suggestion. There's a book by Edwin Alexander, a model rail pioneer, on the subject with some excellent reference material for rolling stock and locomotives. It's called "Civil War Railroads and Models" and has a lot of good pictures and scale drawings. I know Lee Riley has a copy.

The offerings at $1500 each are a bit pricey for a small O scale layout. The Lionel General is a little too toy like and not even close to scale.

Royce Wilson

Even the Central Pacific ,C.P. Huntington 4-2-4T would be nice!
                                                        Royce  ::) ::)

Royce Wilson

Japsha, I have that book. If you do not have the Abdill book,they are worth every penny.

Abdill.Civil war railroads.
                                                                 Royce ::)

japasha

Royce, I have the Abdill book. I built a 1:22.5 Petersburg seige cannon for a Civil War buff friend of mine. I was tempted to make it an operating cannon in that scale.

There's a bunch of great info in both books, historical and engineering wise.

Terry Toenges

I think all of Abdill's books are great. Some of the best I've seen for historical railroading.
Feel like a Mogul.

GlennW

Quote from: Dusten Barefoot(The Rocker) on October 29, 2007, 01:28:36 PM
Yes!! Lets see the Texas and General, and a few yankee engines.

After the fall & occupation of Nashville in 1862, the L&N operated to feed the Yankee armies heading south. Everything seemed to work fine till Sherman found some matches in Atlanta. Some southern raiders tore up some tracks, but the US forces put them back. Even built a new line from Nashville west to the Tennessee River.
So you see you can have the USMRR running trains in former Rebel territory.

Royce Wilson

After the civil war was over,lots of US Military RR engines were sold all over the country and some roads did not reletter them.
These engines lasted well int
                                                                             Royce

Joker

SMR Trains has already nabbed this small area of the market. They've done the General, General Haupt, WH Whiton, CP "Atlantic", and they are doing the Texas as well as several other locomotives and rolling stock. These may be brass locomotives but they are not astronomically priced.

Ned

I have not seen a SMR locomotive in person.  Based on the photos they are beautiful pieces. But they are priced from about $1,250 on up.  While that may not qualify as "astronomical" it would give me pause before buying. I suspect there is a larger market for similar engines at, say, one third or one fourth that price.

Ned

Joker

I have seen both the General and General Haupt and they are outstanding models. The price is a bit steep although we are talking brass models so the price is actually fairly reasonable for brass. For those looking for more economical 19th century steam MTH has done a number of locomotives in the Railking and Premier line that are 1/5 to 1/2 the price of the SMR models and they also make rolling stock. While the models pale in comparison to the SMR models, the price is a lot less and they have sound.

Royce Wilson

I think Ned said it for most of us.The SMR engines are works of art ,but just out of a lot our our price range.

The civil war engines would open up a new group of modelers as a lot of the engines survived to the 20th century or until they were just wore out.

You can be accurate with the current O scale gauge because the 5 foot broad gauge was common up until I think 1886.

a lot of those engines went to logging lines also.
                                                                                 Royce ;D

SHABBONA_RR

[quote author=Royce Wilson  The civil war engines would open up a new group of modelers as a lot of the engines survived to the 20th century or until they were just wore out.

You can be accurate with the current O scale gauge because the 5 foot broad gauge was common up until I think 1886.

a lot of those engines went to logging lines also.
                                                                                 Royce ;D
[/quote]

How about making a new start and offering one or more 19th Century 4-4-0's in S scale. There's a whole new market justr waiting to be tapped.

RBNicholson, the resident S scale grump

M1FredQ

Would it be feasable for Bachmann to consider a set commemorating the 2 railroads meeting and driving the Golden Spike!!

I find a lot of kids like that style of Locomotive and it would be a great way to get them into the hobby!!!!!!