News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC engines running slow

Started by edcubfan, February 23, 2015, 08:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edcubfan

My DCC engines are running slow, my DC runs great. I am using E-Z command control center, with Kato track. any help would be appreciated.

ACY

Try using an advanced DCC controller to do a decoder reset, set CV 8 to a value of 8. If that doesn't help, try adjusting some CVs until they run like you want them to run.

Ken G Price

What do you mean by slow. Takes 30 seconds to go 12"?
DCC engines tend to run closer to scale speed then DC.
Most real trains run at closer 40 mph. Yard switchers around 5 to 10 mph and locals at maybe up to 20 mph.

If you want to run at a scale 200 mph then you will need to reset the CV2. The track brand makes no difference.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Len

Quote from: edcubfan on February 23, 2015, 08:26:54 PM
My DCC engines are running slow, my DC runs great. I am using E-Z command control center, with Kato track. any help would be appreciated.

If you have a DC layout, DCC equiped locos are going to run slower. The electronics causes a voltage drop inside the locomotive, whether you're using them or not, so at a given throttle setting they run slower than a non-DCC loco.

Your options are, a) live with it, b) pull the decoder and install a dummy plug.

That's just the way it is.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Hunt

Len, read the quote you used in your reply. edcubfan wrote what is used.

The E-Z Command Control Center (Bachmann Item No. 44902) is a DCC system.

kmcsjr

So... assumptions aside, what do you mean? Are they just a bit slower and you wonder why, or are they creeping along unacceptably. unless things have changed ez command isnt compatible with jmri. If ez command doesn't allow you to make thr changes you want, you might consider a nce or digitrax system and tie it to jmri. It really opens up control options. DCC does have the versatility to allow you to speed up the trains. But, if you are just wondering about the slowness and can do what you want, you're fine.

skipgear

Most all of the Bachmann DCC equipped loco's are geared to run scale speeds. If you are comparing them to a trainset level DC locomotive, there will be a huge difference in maximum speed. As the older loco's that came in the trainsets get replaced and retooled, everything will be back to the same speed.

Bachmann, Atlas, Intermountain, Fox Valley, and Lifelike have all gone to scale speed gearing and motors. Kato has not and their loco's will run 200+ smph at full throttle. Older loco's designs will be similar, the Bachmann train set loco's GP50, GP40 Etc are very old designs and still run like it.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950