Limits of a Bachmann EZ Command Control Center?

Started by kdgrant6, February 24, 2015, 12:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdgrant6

I am running the following on a layout of under 100 total feet of EZ Track:

2 Bachmann Locomotives, both DCC, one with sound
2 DCC Crossovers
3 DCC turnouts

The only power is the 1 amp transformer that the Echo Valley Set came with.

In answering a question on Amazon, one reviewer wrote that he upgraded power to his Bachmann DCC layout only after going beyond 5 locomotives and nearly 400 ft. of track.  He claims the 1 amp is sufficient unless a user expands a layout considerably.  Bachmann manual states that running more than 2 locos may require additional power. 

I have no problems running my layout now, but I have a 3rd DCC loco (with sound) coming, and plan on expanding the layout even more. 

I'm wondering what other users have experienced concerning power upgrades for the Bachmann DCC controllers.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

bapguy

Will you be running all 3 loco's at once? With 2 sound loco's this may tax the 1AMP system. 2 options in my opinion: get a 5amp booster from Bachmann which is expesive, or upgrade to the Dynamis. On sale from MB Klein:   http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-36505-Dynamis-DCC-Controller-p/bac-36505.htm
  Joe

kdgrant6

I read the owner feedback about Dynamis on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/NCE-Power-Cab-Starter-NCE5240025/dp/B005M8GRKW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424813216&sr=8-1&keywords=nce+dcc+controllers#Ask

Users are disappointed that it will run only two locos at the same time.  So it doesn't look as if it solves the power issue.

Just wondering.

AGSB

The link is to a review of an NCE system not Dynamis.

kdgrant6

Sorry.  Your're right.

Here's another link to the Dynamis manual:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ez_content/dynamis_manual.pdf

Here's a quote.

Thank you for your choice of the Bachmann E-Z Command® Dynamis® DCC
model train control system. You have chosen an easy to use yet highly sophisticated
product. Please take a few moments to become familiar with the product by reading
this manual before proceeding. Using the Dynamis DCC system is simple as all
actions are guided by the screen icons with four Action Keys beneath.

The Dynamis DCC system features a powerful bi-directional infrared hands- free
control unit for convenient operation around your layout. Information passes both
ways between Command Station and Handset to ensure communication integrity.
Both units have been designed to have a wide transmission and reception arc for
optimal performance.
Dynamis can be used with model trains of any scale: power hungry Large Scale
trains may require the use of the E-Z Command® 5-amp boo[/font
]

It seems as though the Dynamis, while offering more control options, doesn't solve the power problem.

I may be wrong.

Len

The part the Dynamis review you highlighted in green is in reference to Large Scale (G-gauge) locos, which have a much higher power requirement than HO or N.

From the "Introduction to Dynamis" available here: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/Introduction_to_Dynamis_DCC_System.pdf in reference to HO and N locomotives:

Quotea 2.5 amp power rating which should be sufficient for six modern standard locomotives equipped with 5-pole skew wound motors to be operated at the same time.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

kdgrant6

You're right.  I was assuming that large scale was referring to an expanded HO layout.  My mistake.  Thanks.

I'll see what happens when a 3rd locomotive comes Friday.

JimJim

Hello All,

I'm currently using the Dynamis system with the 5-amp power booster on my 4x8 HO pike. I picked up an "only used once" one for about half the MSRP on eBay!

I'm currently running consists of three GP40's, two GP30's with an additional GP30 as a helper up the 3% grade, a snowplow consist of an F7B and an RS11, along with a single GP40, GP38-2 and a 70-ton & 44-ton switchers.

At any give time I'll have 6 to 8 locos moving simultaneously with no problems.

My turnouts are D/C powered by a separate transformer. They are separated into two blocks that are driven by a CDU for each block. I've been told that this is overkill for the turnouts but some of the turnout motors are PECO's, wired in parallel, and need the extra amperage to activate.

I highly recommend the 5-amp power booster especially if you're powering turnouts.

Hope this helps.
"Uhh...I didn't know it was 'impossible' I just made it work...sorry!"

kdgrant6

TwinZephyr

How does one determine the appropriate size (amp) power pack/transformer/controller/command station based on the feet of track?

Len

Feet of track is a factor in how many power feeders you need from your controller to the track, not the size controller power supply you need.

Since you're powering switches seperately, if you have enough feeders to the track, the determining factor for power required is the load you'll be putting on the track. Specically the number of locos, whether they have sound or not, and lighted cars in use.

A basic rule of thumb I use for figuring power requirements is to count a sound equiped loco as two regular locos. It's not exact, but close enough.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

kdgrant6

Well, I found out today that a Bachmann EZ DCC Controller will run at least 3 DCC locos at once, two of them with sound.

Jerrys HO

Quote from: kdgrant6 on March 02, 2015, 07:32:29 PM
Well, I found out today that a Bachmann EZ DCC Controller will run at least 3 DCC locos at once, two of them with sound.

Actually I have ran more than that on my layout, others say you can not but I have  ;D

kdgrant6

Actually I have ran more than that on my layout, others say you can not but I have 

That's good to know.  How many?  How many with sound?  What would you say is the limit?

Jerrys HO

Quote from: kdgrant6 on March 02, 2015, 08:08:50 PM
Actually I have ran more than that on my layout, others say you can not but I have 
That's good to know.  How many?  How many with sound?  What would you say is the limit?

How many I have had up to 6 loco's maybe seven at one time running. 3 with sound.
What is the limit? 2 or 3 at best is my limit as it get's hard to control more than two at a time and my layout is not that small. Now there is another myth why I don't want to push it to the max, could it harm the decoder? could it harm the power station? how many licks to the center of a tootsie roll? only testing it will reveal the answer and I'll leave that to JBrocks video king who cut's up $150.00 plus loco's  :D :D :D :D