Limits of a Bachmann EZ Command Control Center?

Started by kdgrant6, February 24, 2015, 12:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

how many licks to the center of a tootsie roll?

It's Tootsie Pop boss, 'how many licks to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop' ::)

I recognize no 'Kings' or their authority over me, Geraldo.
Keep Calm and Carry On

kdgrant6

Quote from: Jerrys HO on March 02, 2015, 08:20:46 PM
Quote from: kdgrant6 on March 02, 2015, 08:08:50 PM
Actually I have ran more than that on my layout, others say you can not but I have 
That's good to know.  How many?  How many with sound?  What would you say is the limit?

How many I have had up to 6 loco's maybe seven at one time running. 3 with sound.
What is the limit? 2 or 3 at best is my limit as it get's hard to control more than two at a time and my layout is not that small. Now there is another myth why I don't want to push it to the max, could it harm the decoder? could it harm the power station? how many licks to the center of a tootsie roll? only testing it will reveal the answer and I'll leave that to JBrocks video king who cut's up $150.00 plus loco's  :D :D :D :D

. . . and JBrock rises to the summons . . .

jward

Quote from: Jerrys HO on March 02, 2015, 08:20:46 PM

Now there is another myth why I don't want to push it to the max, could it harm the decoder? could it harm the power station?

jerry,

i9 don't think you have to worry about overloading the decoder when running more than one locomotive. the decoder controls only the locomotive it is installed in, and could care less what else the command station is powering. as long as the locomotive doesn't overload the decoder you will be ok. if you do get close to the limits, or exceed them the decoder will probably go into thermal; shutdown, and will work again when it has cooled down. but that would be an issue with that locomotive, not whatever else is on the line.

as for the command station, it is very possible to overload it. this is especially true if you are running older locomotives, which could and did draw an amp or more each. from my experience, the old athearns with the grey motors were notorious current hogs, the ne3wer ones with the gold motors not so much.

if your total current draw for the layout is near an amp or more, you have three options:
1. add a booster (expensive)
2. replace your system with one with a higher current rating (also expensive, but you'll gain a lot of programming capability)
3. gap your sidings and install on off switches to isolate them. (cheap, but requires work)

in my case, I design my layouts with dc block control in mind, and run them with dcc. isolating the unused locomotives means I will never get close to exceeding the current rating of my system (3 amps)
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

"Blocking" a large layout is a good idea, even if operating with DCC only. Being able to isolate and power off sections of track really helps with  troubleshooting when the control system keeps shutting down due to a short somewhere.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Jerrys HO

Quote from: jward on March 04, 2015, 11:56:45 AM
jerry,
i9 don't think you have to worry about overloading the decoder when running more than one locomotive. the decoder controls only the locomotive it is installed in, and could care less what else the command station is powering. as long as the locomotive doesn't overload the decoder you will be ok. if you do get close to the limits, or exceed them the decoder will probably go into thermal; shutdown, and will work again when it has cooled down. but that would be an issue with that locomotive, not whatever else is on the line.

as for the command station, it is very possible to overload it. this is especially true if you are running older locomotives, which could and did draw an amp or more each. from my experience, the old athearns with the grey motors were notorious current hogs, the ne3wer ones with the gold motors not so much.
in my case, I design my layouts with dc block control in mind, and run them with dcc. isolating the unused locomotives means I will never get close to exceeding the current rating of my system (3 amps)

I have seen thermal shut down cause problems in my R/C hobby side to ESC's and sometimes it does not come back to life depending on how hot it had gotten. So even though it is OK to you I don't think I would trust your comment that the decoder would revive itself and if it would I don't want to be a guinea pig to find out my luck has run out  ;).
As for the command station, it has a better chance IMO to burn out than the decoder but then that is why I went NCE Power Cab. 5 amps should be all I will ever need.
Block control has not been an issue for me, if I would have thought earlier when building I might have done block control  ??? but this is what brought me to DCC is the unnecessary extra wiring and capabilities of controlling each loco independently.
I do gap my sidings with a toggle to shut down power when a loco is in the siding.

Jerry