News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Older Bachmann loco converted to dcc sound?

Started by Traindude51, February 26, 2015, 06:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traindude51

Is it possible to convert older Bachmann loco, such as a Royal Scott or Orient Express, to DCC sound decoders? Thanks in advance for your replies.

ACY

It is possible but not worth the time and money required. And the conversion would not be very cheap or practical and I would not suggest that a beginner or someone inexperienced or someone without a lot of money to spend to undertake this installation.
However if you do decide to perform the installation,  expect to spend $150 per locomotive at a minimum if not more. You will want to replace the open frame motors with can motors, and then add metal wheels and power pick up to the tender of each locomotive,  and then isolate the motor as these likely have a split frame design then soldier all the wires for the decoder and speaker,  and then drill out holes in the tender and don't forget to add a baffle for the speaker. Plus making room for the decoder and speaker may require some milling and or replacement or removal of some parts, including potentially decreasing the weight as a result and causing the locomotive to perform poorly due to not having sufficient weight.

trainmainbrian

For the $$$$ money you would invest in doing such a task... You would be better off getting a Engine already with a DCC decoder installed...For example I just got a Engine givin to me... It's a PA-1 I plan on using for my Lehigh Valley Passenger Train" I want to get another LV PA-1 & run both engines back to back " I was able to get a DCC decoder in but the Body is very snug fitting The Decoder fit in quite nicely with hardly no issues... But there is NO Way I could put a sound speaker in the Engine... Well there is a way But I would have to Mill out a good chunk of Material to do it & thus possibly taking a good amount of weight away from the Engine...
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

rogertra

I have something like 20+ pre DCC Spectrum steam as well as numerous Atlas and Kato diesels and given they are are all lettered for my "Great Eastern Railway", detailed and weathered they will all, eventually, be converted to DCC and sound, even if it means, in the case of diesels either milling out the frames and or possibly disconnecting the drive from one truck to make room for a speaker.  Steam is usually no problem as there's usually room in the tender for both decoder and speaker and anyone can drill multiple holes in the bottom of the tender for a speaker outlet.

To me, this is a better use of $$$ than buying sound equipped locos to replace them and then adding details, lettering and weathering all over again.

Right now the leading contender is the WOW sound system as it seems to be the best after market system out there.

My four or five, or is it six(?) Bachmann Sound Value diesels (two)  and steam (three, I think) will be left as is as the Sound Value locos sound good enough for me.

Cheers

Roger T.

electrical whiz kid

I am disappointed in you guys.
   For one thing, where is your adventurous side?  How much do you think you will learn by never going the road less travelled?  I am not saying that it would be a real cost effective thing to do a decoder conversion; what it does, however, is get you to think outside of the box; to shun convention; take the road less travelled. 
A late music personality, Les Paul, used to use the term "thinking outside of the box" quite a bit.  If he hadn't had that approach, a lot of recording technique and advancements in progress would have been slow in coming.  When he worked for CBS, they used to call him "hum and hiss Paul"-but because of him the hum and hiss was largely eliminated in recording equipment. 
We do not have to be genuises or experts here, but the sense of adventure should never be discouraged; especially towards new hobbyists-and anyone who encourages such gross negativity should be ashamed of themselves.  I know this can be a very envious hobby, but come off of it, all of you!!!! 
Newcomers should be encouraged to tinker, dig into the works. see if you can make it better-at least if nothing else, see what makes it tick!
Remember "the [practical song"? Take your cues.
SGT C.   

Jerrys HO

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on March 01, 2015, 06:22:59 PM
think outside of the box "thinking outside of the box"
SGT C.   

Eating at Taco Bell much lately?  :D :D :D :D :D :D

I like thinking outside the box.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

ALCO0001

Why put out the fire of the inspiration to do this project Really? Some forget that they started somewhere on something PROBABLY just as bad of a Idea ,but it did not matter since it was there to do and so we did and here we are now! 8)
Jack