News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

time to shock the world

Started by GN.2-6-8-0, February 25, 2015, 04:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GN.2-6-8-0

Note to Bachmann: Time to shock the model railroading world again! You did it with your beautifully done rendition of the B&O EM-1 so now lets think.......WAIT FOR IT!

The Milwaukee Roar S3 4-8-4
Rocky Lives

Jerrys HO

Don't need anymore steamers. Better selection of Diesels would really be a hit, and not the SD70ACE's which have flooded the market by everyone.

ACY

The only chance you have of getting a Milwaukee Road 4-8-4 is one generically produced that is actually a ATSF Northern, a SP GS4, or a NYC Niagara. Bachmann could not even make an accurate model for the Union Pacific 4-8-4 Overland yet they have been selling the same generic model for over 30 years or so. Because it was most likely cost prohibitive and economically unfeasible to create a specific mold for each road name. And bear in mind the Union Pacific has many more fans than the Milwaukee Road.
The EM-1 was successful because the B&O has such a large amount of fans many times greater than the Milwaukee Road for instance. And it appeals to a large group of people who want a unique model or large articulated steam who aren't even B&O modellers. The Milwaukee Road 4-8-4 doesn't fall into that category.

Len

An EMD FL-9 with the right trucks would be nice. And they ended up on roads besides the New Haven:

Operators:
New Haven
Penn Central
Amtrak
Metro-North
Connecticut DOT

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

how about a cow and calf emd switcher? Bachmann has already done the nw2 in n scale, an ho version with calf (tr2) would be nice. and, since athearn discontinued theirs, there are no calves on the market.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

If no EMD FL-9 is forthcoming, I could live with a Cow/Calf set.

Or even some SLUG's. Either with their own prime mover, like the NS 929 & 924 RP-E4D EMD SLUG set, or with traction motors only like many other roads use.

Len

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

a slug does not by definition have a prime mover. it if did it would be a b unit. the rpe4d slugs you refer to have dynamic brakes, which are entirely electrical and do not need a prime mover.

the biggest problem with doing slugs is that they were almost all custom built by their respective railroads, or outside contractors. there is no standard, off the shelf design. thus, any slug models would be limited to one or two roadnames. but slugs are not hard to build yourself either. quite a few were made from old rs3s with the cabs removed. you can do the same, and modify the handrails to span the gap where the cab sat.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

Argh! I knew that. Got faked by a photo shopped pic with smoke pouring out of added stacks. I should have known better.

But the RP-E4D's are pretty cool looking compared to most flat top slugs. I'll have to hunt up some GP9 shells with dynamic brakes and see what I can whip up.

Len

GN.2-6-8-0

Wow! Think I've been mugged by those lovers of rectangular boxs with windows in'em😝
Rocky Lives

Jerrys HO

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on February 26, 2015, 04:46:05 PM
Wow! Think I've been mugged by those lovers of rectangular boxs with windows in'em😝

Yeah love those rectangular boxes, heck they don't need all those orthopedic braces to help them move  :D. All I can think of when I wrote this was "Run Forest Run" ;D.

Trainman203

I disagree with Jerry and Brock.  We need more steam engines.  :o A lot more.  Bachmann used to make a lot more and it would be good to see them again.  Especially both 4-6-0's and both USRA 4-8-2's.  And there has always been a need for the Harriman steam engines.

Diesels mostly look pretty much alike anyway  :D, and are easy to customize with different hatches, fans and such.  It's a little harder to do that with steam engines.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Well, if it has to be steam, instead of that generic 0-6-0 with added leading & trailing trucks, a 'Spectrum' quality 2-6-2 Prairie would be nice.

Len

jward

steamies pretty much look alike too. they all have big wheels with rods connecting them, topped by a giant sausage with a cab and smokestack....lol
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA