News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Speaking of Slugs.

Started by rogertra, February 26, 2015, 05:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Here's a photo I took recently of GER Slug No. 4 that I kitbashed some 15 or more years ago when I used to model 1977.

Kitbashed from a Baldwin switcher body IIRC.  I still have it is anyone's interested in more detailed photos?

Cheers

Roger T.

Joe Satnik

Roger,

Well, of course !

(Why else are we here?)

Louder Cheers.

Joe
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

rogertra

As requested, other views of GER No. 4.

As I have backdated the GER from 1977 to 1958, this unit is no longer in active service and currently sits on a shelf with other dummy GER units which are still in the 1977 colour scheme.

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

trainmainbrian

What are Slugs used for ???? They don't that type of engine in my Area of Eastern PA... The only thing I can think of is Added Power to the coupled up engine... ????.....
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

jward

slugs are used to add powered wheels to a locomotive consist without added fuel consumption. they are most useful at low speeds such as yard service, where the mother locomotive generates more power than can be used by its traction motors. slugs cannot move by themselves, and must be powered by another locomotive set up to power them. most are designed to run with specially modified mothers.

in eastern pa you probably see slugs all the time but don't realize it. norfols southern and csx have large fleets of cabbed slugs (ns 600 and 700 series, csx 2200-2387 series) which at first glance look like regular locomotives, but lack the fans and radiators of a regular locomotive. the ns units have gp40-2 (3000-3102) and gp59e (4650-4661) mothers, csx mothers are in the 6400 and 6900 series.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

If the cab is still on, does that make it a 'snail' instead of a 'slug'?? ;D

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

WoundedBear

Quote from: Len on February 27, 2015, 10:42:58 AM
If the cab is still on, does that make it a 'snail' instead of a 'slug'?? ;D

Len

Now I don't care who you are......that right there is funny. ;D

Sid

WoundedBear

Here's a good shot of a CN unit in Thunder Bay.

Sid

rogertra

Quote from: WoundedBear on February 27, 2015, 11:29:25 AM
Here's a good shot of a CN unit in Thunder Bay.

Sid

Sid.

CN 235 looks like a road slug and probably used in transfer service.  Road slugs operate at higher speeds than yard slugs and are used to assist in starting heavy trains.  Once the train reaches a certain speed, probably transition speed, the slug automatically "disconnects" its power feed from the "mother" unit and goes along for the ride.  Some road slugs are equipped with dynamic brakes and some with fuel tanks to act as fuel tenders for the "mother" unit.  If the "slug" can make transition, then it's called a "MATE".

The CNR used have road slugs around Vancouver and they were used on transfer service between the big CN yard in Coquitlam and the various yards in Vancouver.  However, I rarely get to Vancouver but on line photos suggest they are still in service.

Cheers

Roger T.

WoundedBear

Didn't realize there was a difference between yard and road slugs. Thanks for the info. I see some variety of slug here at Calder yards....they have a few....I'll have to note road numbers next time I pass by there.

Sid

Irbricksceo

Interesting Information, Was unaware that Slugs were ever used "on the road"

As always, looks great Roger. I'm curious, were those photos taken on the new or old GER?
Modeling NYC in N

rogertra

Quote from: Irbricksceo on February 27, 2015, 12:56:34 PM

As always, looks great Roger. I'm curious, were those photos taken on the new or old GER?

Glad to have been of help.

The photos of No. 4 and No. 51 were taken on the new GER's Industrial Lead while the photos of slug No. 4 on its own were taken on the Yard Lead.

Cheers

Roger T.

jward

Quote from: Irbricksceo on February 27, 2015, 12:56:34 PM

yes, they are used on the road all the time. in Pittsburgh, many of the shifter trains (locals) are running with road slug sets. this is true on both ns and csx. and the ns road slugs are also used in yard service at Conway with at least 3 sets working the yard at any given time. these sets seems to be rotated between yard and shifter service.

there is one set that works out of mingo jc which consists of a gp40-2, an rpe4d slug with dynamic brakes, and an rpe4c (cabbed) slug. for those who visit Altoona and horseshoe curve this summer, look for road slug sets in the yard, and on the shifters to Lewistown and Hollidaysburg. ns is currently building their own road slugs in Altoona, and those shifters make a good test or shakedown run.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jward

roger, that is an excellent job on the yard slug. was it powered?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA