News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Housing Cover for EZ Mate Coupler

Started by kdgrant6, February 25, 2015, 07:14:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdgrant6

I bought a used Walther boxcar that came without one EZ mate coupler and the housing cover that attaches with a screw.  I have extras couplers, but I don't have an extra cover nor screw.  Walthers doesn't show one on its site, at least not one I can find.

Any suggestions?

trainmainbrian

Athearn make's Coupler Covers My Friend... You can try them...or you can try making your own cover out of styrene or similar material...
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

Len

I've used covers from Kadee #234 and #242 draft gear boxes to replace missing Bachmann coupler box covers.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rogertra

Make a coupler box cover out of Plastruct or similar.  It's not difficult, it just requires a sharp knife.

This is a hobby, you shouldn't need to buy everything.   Part of it being a hobby is learning to make, repair and build things yourself.

Sheets and strips of plastic and various plastic shapes should be part of your supplies as should hobby knives, drills, files, jeweller's screw drivers, an NMRA standards gauge and coupler height gauge, etc., etc.. just for making these kinds of repairs and fixes.

Cheers

Roger T.

Len

I'm frugal, and lazy. I'd rather spend $2.00 at the LHS for a dozen Kadee coupler boxes, than reinvent the wheel making my own. Now using styrene to build a custom bridge for EZ-Track, that's a whole 'nother story.

Len

kdgrant6

I agree with Len. 
Along with all the other accouterment of this hobby, I would throw in tact as a good tool.

Hunt

Quote from: kdgrant6 on February 25, 2015, 05:05:42 PM
. . .
Along with all the other accouterment of this hobby, I would throw in tact as a good tool.
All
Do not allow your knowledge to be limited because of the way information is presented.

kdgrant6

Well said, Hunt.  Thank you. I appreciate your gift.

These are on my to-buy list:
Sheets and strips of plastic and various plastic shapes should be part of your supplies as should hobby knives, drills, files, jeweller's screw drivers, an NMRA standards gauge and coupler height gauge, etc., etc.. just for making these kinds of repairs and fixes..

electrical whiz kid

Grant;
Look at Tichy for parts, for example; good quality.  There are others, like Kadee, etc; when (if) you decide to broaden your horizons.  I won't try to speak for all, but for many in this hobby, there is derived a great satisfaction from knowing where to look for specific parts for their needs; which makes that part of things go pretty smooth.
I won't knock Bachmann-I have a great many of their steamers and am pretty well satisfied with them.  I do, however, change looks to what I want-again knowing where to look for parts specific.  Outside of HO, I have Fn3, as well as On30-all of which is Bachmann.  Happy happy me.
Cars are an area of Bachmann that, for whatever reason, I had never ventured into; again, their product is very well put together.  Most of what I build at this point, is scratch, scratch-bashed, or kit-bashed.  That is where I derive a good deal of fun.  My thing; my jing.  I guess I have been pretty fortunate in bumping into what I have done so here.
One thing:  This hobby, like so many other endeavours, is a cumulative thing.  Once you get past the newbie stage, you'll see.

Hunt;
Ref:  Knowledge:  Wouldn't "thinking outside of the box" be the same thing?
SGT. C

kdgrant6

I can certainly understand the attraction of being as self-sufficient as possible. 

The car with the missing coupler is a Walther's, not a Bachmann.

After such a short time in this hobby, I am amazed at the passion at play.  And you're right: there are plenty of different places for satisfaction in this hobby.  My list of what I need to learn is growing.

Thanks for your help.

jbrock27

The lid of a Kadee #5 draft gear box may very well do the trick.  It may or may not need some modification.  Do you have any around to use to take a look see?

*Yea, not w/o trimming off the round hump in the middle.  A Kadee shim may work too, but even the .015" is thinner than the aforementioned lid.   That would be my 2nd choice for it being more flimsy.  Maybe glue 2 shims together first then use them as "one" cover?
Keep Calm and Carry On

kdgrant6

The lid of a Kadee #5 draft gear box may very well do the trick.  It may or may not need some modification.  Do you have any around to use to take a look see?

I've heard about them, but don't have one here.

Len

You can see the various Kadee draft gear boxes here: http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/HO-Scale_Gear_Box.htm

If the boss that holds the coupler in place is built into the coupler box on the car, just take the boss on the KD lid off with an X-Acto knife or Zona saw and file or sand smooth.

Personally, I like the #242 boxes because you don't have to mess with trimming the 'ears' for fastening the box to wood car floors off. And they work quite well with Bachmann, and other, cars with missing lids.

Len

kdgrant6

Thanks.  I'll check this out soon.