News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Speaking of Slugs.

Started by rogertra, February 26, 2015, 05:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Quote from: jward on February 27, 2015, 10:03:27 PM
rofer, that is an excellent job on the yard slug. was it powered?

No, it just went along for the ride.  No. 53, the Alco S2 is a metal kit and can pull down buildings, well at least 35+ freight cars and as my longest yard track was 18 cars long, the slug was just for looks.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

ALCO0001

Nice I like it .Conrail had a bunch of slugs and there is a CSX gp 30 Slug hanging around metro Detroit, no fans ,smooth sides ,no vents ,has a cab

and looked like it even had some newer paint on it ,Strange they would put that effort into it AND LABOR .Must be a pride and workmanship thing in

the shop to just keep the old 30 going one way or another .Great to see these days.Inspiring kit bash for some newbies to see what modeling is all

about.You cannot get that one right out of the box .Thanks for Sharing !
Jack

rogertra

Jack.

I was really into kitbashing a few years ago.  I wanted Canadian MLW RS-18s, not available as affordable rtr plastic models so I took American Alco RS-11s and kitbashed a few of them into passable RS-18s.  I am lucky in that the RS-18s grill arrangements were slightly different on the CNR and CPR models so the slight variation from the prototype versions on my freelanced GER version seems acceptable to me.

As for steam?  Well it's hard to find a GER kettle that hasn't had at least the tender kitbashed let alone all weather cabs, pilot deck air tanks etc., etc., add.  Most of my kitbashes are not that difficult.

If you need something, a building, track work, and locomotive, a bridge anything that's not commercially available, either scratch build it or kitbash it, that's what this hobby is about.  It's not about walking into your local hobby shop and buying everything from the shelves.  And if you mess up?  You don't learn anything without making mistakes.  Believe me, making that first saw cut into a $200+ steam loco was a challenge.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

I know a guy who used a saw to cut a $300 loco.  Wanna see??
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on February 28, 2015, 06:55:05 PM
I know a guy who used a saw to cut a $300 loco.  Wanna see??

Sure, lets see what he did.

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

WoundedBear

That's the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.....not the loco being cut, but the commentator.

We have names up here for people like that.....lolololol. I think when he screwed his hat on backwards, it pinched his brain a bit. ;D

Sid

jbrock27

You're free (obviously) to draw your own conclusions about the commentator.  As Hunt so succinctly put it, just recently: 
Do not allow your knowledge to be limited because of the way information is presented.  Or for that matter, by whom presents it...

And yes, I bet you do have names up there in Canada for "people like that".  One thing that cannot be questioned is his always giving his honest opinon.  I would offer that I have gotten many good ideas from him, just as I have from you, Sid.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Irbricksceo

I've seen several neat things from this person. That said, this was... wasteful. If he didn't like it, he could sell it or even give it away. He compared it to the overland and MTH models, which are ~3* ad ~5-6 times the cost of the Bachmann one.

Modeling NYC in N

jbrock27

Many would agree w/you Brick, but it was his dough to chose what he did with it and he (obviously) did it to prove a point.  I know you don't agree with his opinion as the same goes for you and those 2 kids that did their video, like 8 years ago...And those models are not 3 to 6 times the cost, that was part of his point, which I guess you missed.  Here it is more about it, recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0kTTb4Joyk

How are those AMAZON needle files workin for ya, dog?
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Roger;
While walking through the yard at Rockland, Maine some years ago, I ran across a slug that really caught my eye.  THis thing was a rea home-grownl piece of work-I had to laugh.  I also caught sight of a Maine Central RS-11 spotted half on the turntable, half on the yard track.  The thought of twenty+ tons of locomotive having to be scooped out of the pit...  Oh well; only in Maine.  Wouldn't trade it for the world!
Also, For my life time familiarity with the New Haven, I would never have thought they had slugs-until I was driving up I-91, and spotted one behind a Geep doing hump service over in the Cedar Hill yard.  We really do learn something new every day, don't we?  Just as an aside; The biggest steam on the New Haven were the Santa Fe types; and one of their common assignments, I had learned, was also hump service.  Now THAT would have been a sight!  That hogger had to know that locomotive better than he knew his wife!
SGT C.

jbrock27

I am glad that you asked to see it! :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Hey Sarge, you make it up 91 to the Big E this year?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Those Class L1 "Santa Fe" locos were originally supposed to get used on the NH Shoreline Route. But they had counterbalancing issues with the drivers that created a "hammer" effect. It was so bad, the swing and drawbridge operators threatened to open the bridges and walk out because they were afraid the bridges would come apart under them. So the L1's got moved inland. I got that from an uncle who worked for the NH before he went to the Great Northern.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.