News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Speaking of Slugs.

Started by rogertra, February 26, 2015, 05:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irbricksceo

I'd heard that len! Funny Stuff. Kinda reminds me of the big locomotive Penn built for the state fair that was completely unusable.

Jbrock, I'll be honest, I completely forgot about that video with the two kids until now. I've said a lot of things when I was younger that I regret, and while my opinion of their video may have been right or wrong, who's to say, My response was aggressive and, really unnecessary for a video by two kids. I've chosen to ignore a lot from before when I really matured.

Regarding the cost of this persons video, those are the numbers I came up with, maybe they were off but either way, my point about waste stands true. I've liked a lot of his work, I think I'm allowed to voice my opinions. He has done giveaways before. as for the files, to be honest, It still hasn't fixed the truck jumping the track so either I filed the wrong part or it is something else causing it. I'll get around to looking into it more at a later date, for now I just have the SY move around my tiny yard setting up trains.

Modeling NYC in N

jbrock27

What I found funny Brick, is that you left your comments years later (about 1 yr ago to be exact, not that long ago) when they were no longer kids; like several years later after they first posted.  You make it sound like you left your comment a long time ago.  ???  Anyway, I only brought it up to underscore we have different perspectives.

No question it was wasteful, just his choice to be wasteful.  No one said you have to make the same choice.  Of course you are entitled to your opinions, just like everyone else.  

Sorry filing has not worked, at least, I am glad you found them for a decent price at AMAZON as I suggested.
If you search, you will find many cited instances of problems with these/your turnouts.  Is it just one loco that does it?  Could it be a problem in the wheel gauge or truck of that particular loco?  Have you explored that?
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

HI, Jim;
No, I was just out of the hospital and on enough "stuff" to make a grouchy elephant smile...  Next year for sure.  Heck, Jim; I am just about ready to start my layout.  Got this idea about using 1" styro. and precutting my roadbed from 1/4" subflooring.  Just a thought...Told you I think outside of the box...  The VA says no work for at least eight weeks.  I'd sure be the star at a metal detector at the airport...
SGT C.

Irbricksceo

Was that really only a year ago? Feels like it was 6, before I lived in Georgia. I'm mixing up two different events in my Head. In any event, yes, it was his choice.

Regarding the files, since it was just this locomotive and this truck is so light, it would not surprise me if a small defect could be causing it. It does not come off on other turnouts but that does not rule out a truck issue. And hey, even if the files didn't work, having a set of them is certainly a good idea!

also, did I say state fair? Wow... I meat Worlds Fair obviously, the 1939 one. The thing was too large for most of the PRR's routes so it had to serve on just one.

Modeling NYC in N

jward

Quote from: Irbricksceo on March 01, 2015, 10:22:59 AM
I've seen several neat things from this person. That said, this was... wasteful. If he didn't like it, he could sell it or even give it away. He compared it to the overland and MTH models, which are ~3* ad ~5-6 times the cost of the Bachmann one.

i know this person from the late great atlas forum. he is a very good modeler, but was kicked off the forum a couple times for erratic behavior. we have all bought something we were disappointed in, for example, but to cut a locomotive in half offends my Scottish sensibilities.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

So you also said the last time this subject of this commentator came up Jeff and you might recall that my response at that time, just like this time, is that is hearsay unless you have some proof to present.  You were also a member, were you not?

As far as MY Scottish sensibilities go, normally it would do the same for me as well, but luckily I have enough of a sense of humor that this amuses me.  And the nice thing is, no one got hurt.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Irbricksceo

Alright, this has gotten a little off the rails
Modeling NYC in N

jbrock27

Are you the new Yardmaster now?  And nope, your post is from 1 year ago-easy to see and confirm, Brick.  What about other locos bro?  Do they do the same thing on that turnout?  Yep, definitely smart to get the files, regardless.

I was not sure that was going on at the same time Sarge.  How have you been doing and feeling?  I am the last guy to ask about bench building with all the other experts on here Sarge.  I am guessing your question is one that is open to all?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

unfortunately, it is hard to provide proof when the forum deleted the posts that caused him to get booted. otherwise they'd be in the archives which are still accessable with a web search.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Ahhh, so it shall remain just as hearsay then, I guess.

I had sent you a PM re: Railroadiana earlier today, did you see it?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

i did. been busy with family, will post later.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

electrical whiz kid

Len;
Sounds reasonable.   One of the things I sometimes ponder is what would have happened if (1) the New haven has strung a clothesline from New Haven to Boston; and (2) if they had never let Pat McGuinnes out of his cage.  The Ef-4s were some of the most powerful motors ever constructed, the EP-5s were simply beautiful to see.  It would have been one of the coolest things (I grew up In Boston) to have watched an EP-2 pull "the Colonial" into South Station during the 50's.
SGT C.

Len

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on March 02, 2015, 02:57:03 PM
Len;
Sounds reasonable.   One of the things I sometimes ponder is what would have happened if (1) the New haven has strung a clothesline from New Haven to Boston; and (2) if they had never let Pat McGuinnes out of his cage.  The Ef-4s were some of the most powerful motors ever constructed, the EP-5s were simply beautiful to see.  It would have been one of the coolest things (I grew up In Boston) to have watched an EP-2 pull "the Colonial" into South Station during the 50's.
SGT C.

You and me both. McG was one of the worst things that ever happened to the NH. And for some reason, except on the FL-9's, I never liked his paint scheme. I always prefered the Hunter Green w/gold pin stripe and the buff and green they used on the C-Liners and DL-109's.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ALCO0001

Quote from: rogertra on February 28, 2015, 01:49:36 PM
Jack.

I was really into kitbashing a few years ago.  I wanted Canadian MLW RS-18s, not available as affordable rtr plastic models so I took American Alco RS-11s and kitbashed a few of them into passable RS-18s.  I am lucky in that the RS-18s grill arrangements were slightly different on the CNR and CPR models so the slight variation from the prototype versions on my freelanced GER version seems acceptable to me.

As for steam?  Well it's hard to find a GER kettle that hasn't had at least the tender kitbashed let alone all weather cabs, pilot deck air tanks etc., etc., add.  Most of my kitbashes are not that difficult.

If you need something, a building, track work, and locomotive, a bridge anything that's not commercially available, either scratch build it or kitbash it, that's what this hobby is about.  It's not about walking into your local hobby shop and buying everything from the shelves.  And if you mess up?  You don't learn anything without making mistakes.  Believe me, making that first saw cut into a $200+ steam loco was a challenge.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

Thanks for the encouragement .I have indulged in a few Diesel bashes,NW high hoods,UP gp 30B,CN SD40-2W before they became

commercially available.Still have 1 half way .Need to make or buy step wells and snow shields .BUT never ventured into steam except building a

old Bowser Challenger kit .Learned a lot with those rivets and full working valve gear.Finished it in great running order with a monogram

centipede tender with a Bowser power kit that converted it into a working tender that would pick up juice.Got so scared something would go

wrong in a way of breakage at the time I sold it off  unpainted .Regret that now.That was in my semi green days of this great hobby!

jward

Quote from: Len on March 02, 2015, 04:10:17 PM
Quote from: electrical whiz kid on March 02, 2015, 02:57:03 PM
Len;
SGT C.

You and me both. McG was one of the worst things that ever happened to the NH. And for some reason, except on the FL-9's, I never liked his paint scheme. I always prefered the Hunter Green w/gold pin stripe and the buff and green they used on the C-Liners and DL-109's.

Len

I am partial to the alpert scheme of orange over black myself, and the maybrook line as well.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA