News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

need a wheel set

Started by Hobojim, October 29, 2007, 04:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobojim

Hi i got a bachmann 1265 tri leval car carrier santa fe.. its missing one set of wheels .. what outher bachmann cars could i take wheel set from to make it work?? truck looks good coupler looks good.. thanks for any help with this... hobojim

SteamGene

Are the remnaining wheels metal or plastic?  If plastic, take it as a blessing and replace all of them with metal.  If metal, just buy a set of metal freight car wheels, smooth backed.  I THINK  that car would have 33" wheels.  But if not, they would be 28. 
This would be the time to invest in a truck reamer if you are getting serious and ream the pockets for each wheel set as you replace plastic with metal. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Hobojim

Hi Gene,

Yes they are plastic wheel on silver color metal axles  have orderd a bunch of metal wheels so will change.. i tryed changing wheel set from a couple cars and can not seem to make them hold.. works ok on track but if lifted they come right offf again..
hobojim

CJCrescent

Quote from: Hobojim on October 29, 2007, 10:57:22 PM
Hi Gene,

Yes they are plastic wheel on silver color metal axles  have orderd a bunch of metal wheels so will change.. i tryed changing wheel set from a couple cars and can not seem to make them hold.. works ok on track but if lifted they come right offf again..
hobojim

If after changing to another axle, the axle drops off when lifted, The best permanent repair is to replace the entire truck.
Keep it Between the Rails
Carey
Alabama Central Railway

Hobojim

Hi yes thats a great idea, but what trucks can i use?? as the coupler is very long on this car...

r.cprmier

If you are using Reboxx and other similar brands, you will have a chart to go by.  Use the brand of trucks on the model as a reference.  if that fails, find a reputable hobby shop, containing on the payroll, someone who really knows what they are doing, show him/her the model, and then go from there. 

A simple approach would be to swap the trucks for the correct ones by kadee, and others.  For your convenience, Kadee has a website to go to for reference.

On "lower shelf" models, I would not hesitate to swap the trucks for something decent; couplers too, for that matter.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!