Installing a Tsunami 1000 DCC decoder in BAC 80998 (outside Frame G Forney)

Started by Joe_W11, February 23, 2015, 04:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe_W11

Does anyone have experience in putting a Tsunami 1000 in Bachmann's G scale outside frame Forney?  Is this a simple as adding the board and plugging in a speaker?   I bought a G scale Climax (Demonstrator 3) w/ DCC-Sound on board?  Could I use the board and speaker that came with the Climax and interchange it with the Forney?  It appears to have a DRG&W 3-chime whistle option that would sound nice in the Forney.    Thanks.

Hunt

The SoundTraxx TSU-1000 Tsunami sound decoder is rated max 1 AMP motor. Suggest you discuss with SoundTraxx the suitability of  using the decoder in the Bachmann large scale outside frame Forney.

Joe_W11

Thanks Hunt, I will check this out.  To be honest, I am really just looking for the easiest connection to the Forney's non-proprietary electronics bay (read as PnP).   I like the Tsunami sound in my Bachmann G scale Climax and 3-truck Shay locos (that came with DCC Oonboard), so I though I'd stick with the Tsunami Soundtraxx brand.

Kevin Strong

Soundtraxx does not make a stand-alone decoder that fits the large scale socket in Bachmann and Aristo locos. The ones they did for the Climax were made specifically for Bachmann. They had plans to release a stand-alone board when Bachmann released the C-19, but that's been put on the far back burner, so I wouldn't hold my breath there. You could use the one from the Climax in the Forney if you have one spare.

QSI, ESU and others make decoders designed for large scale locos that fit into the large scale socket. The QSI and ESU decoders get high marks for both operation and sound quality. I don't know if Zimo makes a plug-and-play decoder, but theirs also get high marks from users. TCS told me last year they were working on a large scale version of their "TCS Wow!" decoder, but I don't know where that stands.

Later,

K